Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie... need help on cam question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie... need help on cam question..

I know its been covered a 1000 time on here & everything says line the dots up (12 &6) & your good but just want some reassurance before I proceed..

LQ4 motor. Have it torn down to shortblock and all cleaned up ready to proceed....

Torn down b/c I'm swapping the top end to LS3 junk (l92 heads, intake,ect), Installing new cam, chain and melling pump ..

All that said.............

I didn't bother or think about lining up the dots or pay attention to where they were before I pulled the stock cam. Just dropped the pump, pulled everything & slid the cam out... Crank dot happened to be around 11 o'clock so I spun the crank on around to 12 o'clock (which put #1 and #6 up)

Dot on the cam gear could've been at 11 o clock or so like the crank dot was or getting ready to line back up at 12 & 6, I have no clue.... So my question is does it matter?? Don't think it does but hey, I'm new to this

When I install this new cam just make sure the crank dot is at 12 o'clock, slide him in, put cam gear @ 6 o'clock and I'm good to proceed?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't matter where the cam was prior or the crank. As long as they are lined up properly with the new cam/crank/timing set you are good to go.

That's what puts them "in time".

Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alaska_guy
Doesn't matter where the cam was prior or the crank. As long as they are lined up properly with the new cam/crank/timing set you are good to go.

That's what puts them "in time".

Perfect, thanks for the info...

Exactly what I thought...Seeing as how the cam is really what determines which stroke is what, correct???

I scanned a few threads on here where a couple people had convinced themselves that info was incorrect and you could install it upside down

Quick Reply: newbie... need help on cam question..