Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thompson short block?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thompson short block?

I'm looking at a h/c/i/e 2001 ws6 automatic with a nozzle kit. If I buy it my plans will be a stock cube forged bottom end and spray a 200 shot or so. Does anybody run the short block that Thompson motorsports sells out of a 5.3 iron block? Looks like the stage 2 has a stock crank with forged rods and pistons. Would I be better off just putting pistons and rods in the ls1? It's a low mile motor and hasn't been sprayed but maybe a bottle. Also will all the stuff off the ls1 work on it? It has ls6 heads from TEA I believe.

Next question is the trans. It has a 4l60 that has a couple of thousand miles on the build. Guy says all the parts came from performabuilt and put together buy a local guy. How far can the 4l60 go with the kind of power I'm talking about making? Rear diff will be a 9' from quick performance.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

You will be fine with either option you decide to go with. If you just buy rods and pistons for your ls1, I would have it balanced for your crank. But your ls1 will hold the kind of power you're talking about no problem with forged internals. If you decide to go with the iron 5.3 then all your ls1 accessories will transfer over to it, but you'll have to drill and tap a hole for your alternator to mount to in unless Thompson already has done it on theirs. Same goes with the 6.0 as far as everything bolting up.

Either way I think you'll be happy. Keep in mind that the iron 5.3 weighs about 100lbs more just for the block according to the thread on here where a guy actually showed both blocks on a scale.

As far as your 4l60e goes, it really depends on what all was done to the one you have. The stock one is pushing it around 450rwhp with a good trans cooler. A lot of people think that 4l60e's can't handle the power, but they just have to have the right builder and it will live with the right tune at high power levels. There's plenty of bottom 9 second cars running 4l60e's that are living just fine.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by southspeed
I'm looking at a h/c/i/e 2001 ws6 automatic with a nozzle kit. If I buy it my plans will be a stock cube forged bottom end and spray a 200 shot or so. Does anybody run the short block that Thompson motorsports sells out of a 5.3 iron block? Looks like the stage 2 has a stock crank with forged rods and pistons. Would I be better off just putting pistons and rods in the ls1? It's a low mile motor and hasn't been sprayed but maybe a bottle. Also will all the stuff off the ls1 work on it? It has ls6 heads from TEA I believe.

Next question is the trans. It has a 4l60 that has a couple of thousand miles on the build. Guy says all the parts came from performabuilt and put together buy a local guy. How far can the 4l60 go with the kind of power I'm talking about making? Rear diff will be a 9' from quick performance.
Hi noticed thread and wanted to note that PerformaBuilt does not nor has ever sold parts, Your Guy who built the trans may have used the parts list from one of our builds published but he did not purchase parts from Us . Not trying to be rude or anything but did want to clear that up,
Good luck with your engine build .
Frank@performabuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Hi noticed thread and wanted to note that PerformaBuilt does not nor has ever sold parts, Your Guy who built the trans may have used the parts list from one of our builds published but he did not purchase parts from Us . Not trying to be rude or anything but did want to clear that up,
Good luck with your engine build .
Frank@performabuilt

Thanks thats good to know. I'll ask him about it. He seems like an honest dude so I'm sure he either copied the list or ordered from a different shop and made a mistake on the name. Either way I appreciate your post.

Deeohgie, thanks for the info. It's just what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Thompson short block?