Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine preservation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine preservation

Over the winter I will be removing the intake, heads/cam and front accessories on my 98 and over time replacing them as cash permits. The car is my weekend car and stays in my garage, my question is with intake and heads removed and all that what steps, if any should I take to preserve the internals from rust or other contaminates or is the residual oil enough to protect it. I do not know when I will reseal it up with fresh new parts and would just wait until everything is here but GF wants to learn so its all coming off sooner than later.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I usually spray oil on them and cover them with a bag.
Doesn't have to be anything special. I've used Liquid Wrench, WD40, and even Rem Oil.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Getting all the parts in hand and checked out to make sure they are correct without issues before pulling the heads & intake can save a lot of head aches. Over the years I have seen several of my own projects run into issues with wrong parts or new parts that required additional attention before install. The hassle was minimized by check all the parts and correcting the issues Before starting the installation.

Good luck with the install and its really cool your girl is interested in it. Shock her by carefully planning everything by getting all parts in hand and checked before starting.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

John deere "fluid film" spray is great for coating stuff before storage!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

I use Fluid Film as well. My local O'reilly's caries it now.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Getting all the parts in hand and checked out to make sure they are correct without issues before pulling the heads & intake can save a lot of head aches. Over the years I have seen several of my own projects run into issues with wrong parts or new parts that required additional attention before install. The hassle was minimized by check all the parts and correcting the issues Before starting the installation.

Good luck with the install and its really cool your girl is interested in it. Shock her by carefully planning everything by getting all parts in hand and checked before starting.
I second the vote for leaving everything together until all of the parts are gathered and checked.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

A coating of oil of some sort will keep the rust away, bag it tight to keep the dust out. I would re oil semi often and check for any rust developing. I let a cam set up in my garage for a while once, it had oil on it inside a plastic bag but it still developed a light amount of rust because it was wrapped in news paper and I never went back and checked on it, if I had I would have noticed the newspaper soaked up the oil. The guy I bought it from wrapped it in paper and I never even thought about it. Had it not been wrapped in paper it may have not rusted, but I don't know for 100% sure, so I would keep an eye on it for any rust developing.

Quick Reply: Engine preservation