Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Camshaft

I have a 2000 t/a with a ls1 5.7 engine. I'm wanting to upgrade my cam but I want to stick with a oem model can in which I will not need a tune. Any corvette cams I can go with to make more power but still keep a stock tune???
Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hellhound405
I have a 2000 t/a with a ls1 5.7 engine. I'm wanting to upgrade my cam but I want to stick with a oem model can in which I will not need a tune. Any corvette cams I can go with to make more power but still keep a stock tune???
Any cam (even a OEM cam) worth the effort to install will require a tune.....or you can go without a tune and let us know how much worse your car runs.

Jus' sayin'.

KW
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion, swapping out your stock LS1 Cam for another OEM LS based cam is not worth it. As said above, you will not see much benefits, if any at all, without a proper tune. Why not just go with any aftermarket off the shelf or custom grind since you will be tearing it down anyway? I would go with at least a TSP 220R Cam so you will feel a noticeable difference.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

Good Tuning with HP tuners and a quality wideband is absolutely necessary to safely realize any Gains you would see from modifying your LS1 engine, especially internally! If you're not going to tune it then don't even mess with it. Even the simple bolt on's like an air lid or headers should be tuned for. I've seen lots of cars go pretty lean even with just those!

these cars are getting older and they deserve to be treated better than this.

A well maintained stock LS1 car with a good tune will run circles around one with a bunch of mismatched crap thrown at it and no tuning.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by stockA4
A well maintained stock LS1 car with a good tune will run circles around one with a bunch of mismatched crap thrown at it and no tuning.
Truer words were never typed. Way back in the day when the streets were full of TA's and SS Camaros I had a stock 99TA with a good tune in it. That car hauled azz, I won a bunch of street races with it against guys with lots of mods. I'll never forget this Nuclear Banana(collectors edition yellow TA)with a cam headers this that all kinds of mods, I beat that car so bad the guy about sheet. Afterwards he checked out my car and when he realized it was stock with a tune he was very upset. He spent a ton of money trying to get his car faster when all he needed was a lid exhaust and good tune. That 99 kicked azz!
Old 01-13-2017, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely get it tuned. My c5 had a BTR cam along with headers and intake, and before I had it tuned, it didn't feel great. After though.. the things a rocket
Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stockA4
Seriously. I managed to generate a lot of butt hurt for a guy on Power Tour in 2012 when he learned our lightly modded/optimized '02 B4C (https://ls1tech.com/forums/12-second...-bolt-ons.html) was quicker than his supercharged 35th Anniversary SS.

So many people throw good money after bad on these engines/cars.

Quick Reply: OEM Camshaft