Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some insight

I recently purchased a '99 SS with a fully built 383 stroker. Since buying the car I've noticed that there is some sort of air pressure entering the coolant system. There is no mixture of coolant into the oil or vice versa, and after performing the engine block test, there are no hydrocarbons in the coolant system. The issue I'm having is my coolant is somehow being pressurized to the point it is exceeding 24psi and spraying all over the engine bay. I haven't yet ruled out a head gasket problem but the negative results of oil coolant mixture into either system, along with the negative result from the hydrocarbon test lead me to believe it's something other than a head gasket issue. If the problem truly isn't a head gasket/compression issue, what else might cause this much pressure in the coolant system to exceed the 24psi cap? Everything I've searched comes back only with how to correct positive hydrocarbon results and blown head gaskets.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the hoses by the fill neck. If the coolant reserve and the by pass are on the wrong tubes you'll get the blow by.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check that. I'm replacing the radiator anyways with a full aluminum radiator so I'll definitely make sure the hoses are all hooked up correctly. Thanks for the advice! I'll post if it fixes it.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Make sure you test your coolant cap pressure.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Make sure you test your coolant cap pressure.
I agree. if it's not combustion gases causing the pressure, it's probably a bad cap.

Quick Reply: Need some insight