Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building forged 5.3 block from summit without machine shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building forged 5.3 block from summit without machine shop?

Ok so in my area finding a machine shop worth anything is next to impossible and the one machine shop in the area that is good usually takes 9-12 months turn time to do a motor. So I bought a 5.3 block off summit racing that is apparently left over GM stock that are already machined and have cam bearings pressed in so my hope is that I can build this block without the use of machine shop. I have never assembled a bottom end before (only ever done rod bolts and cam installs) so I am a complete newbie on engine building. My question is theoretically can I buy a balanced forged rotating assembly with 3.78 pistons and put in this block and stud everything so long as everything checks out while doing so? Has anyone done this and can share some knowledge with me.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ls-block.html
Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff17
Ok so in my area finding a machine shop worth anything is next to impossible and the one machine shop in the area that is good usually takes 9-12 months turn time to do a motor. So I bought a 5.3 block off summit racing that is apparently left over GM stock that are already machined and have cam bearings pressed in so my hope is that I can build this block without the use of machine shop. I have never assembled a bottom end before (only ever done rod bolts and cam installs) so I am a complete newbie on engine building. My question is theoretically can I buy a balanced forged rotating assembly with 3.78 pistons and put in this block and stud everything so long as everything checks out while doing so? Has anyone done this and can share some knowledge with me.
Thanks
I purchased the same block trying to save money on machining. For the most part, I did, but I ended up having to get the block honed for the proper piston to wall clearance. I also had the line bore check since I switched to studs.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

what/where did you buy the rotating assembly from? 3.78 piston? A simple honing I may be able to find a machine to do but I don't trust most shops around here for much more than that. Also just by switching to studs you needed the line bore re-done?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff17
what/where did you buy the rotating assembly from? 3.78 piston? A simple honing I may be able to find a machine to do but I don't trust most shops around here for much more than that. Also just by switching to studs you needed the line bore re-done?
My line bore ended up being ok, I used a factory crank also from summit, Eagle rods, and Wiesco pistons. I had it balanced locally.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club

Ok thanks for the info, so I may be able to get away with just having the block honed for the pistons after I buy them.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Teching In

You will have to get the block honed regardless. The rotating assembly will have to be balanced also. Building an engine without a full blueprint is pretty sketchy. Could really cost you down the road.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

Gotcha thanks for the input guys. The rotating assembly will come balanced, will be ordering through Brian Tooley and I am now planning on having the machine shop hone and check the line bore since everything will be studded. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. I appreciate the input.

Quick Reply: Building forged 5.3 block from summit without machine shop?