Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring lifter preload. EOIC VS TDC Compression?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Measuring lifter preload. EOIC VS TDC Compression?

Ive always heard of 2 ways to get to the base circle of the cam and have always wondered if these 2 ways are equal or if one is better. In my mind they are the same but wanted opinions.

Method 1 is simply bring lets say cylinder 1 to tdc on compression where both valves are closed. This should accomplish base circle and you can go ahead with measuring for pushrod length and lifter preload.

Method 2 is watching for the exhaust valve to open then measure for intake. Then waiting for intake to start closing then about half way into intake closing do the exhaust.

What you all think?

Alex
Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Method 2 is how I always adjusted my solid lifters when "bumping" the engine over with the starter. When the engine is on the stand with a degreed balancer and you are turning the engine with a wrench, method 1 is quicker since you can check both valves in one position. Both methods have the lifter(s) on the base circle of the lobe and are equally accurate for measuring.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Im going to try both since its on a stand and easy. Ill see if they both have the same measurement.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

I do it a bit different than most. Since my motor is always in the car when i am measuring for pushrod length, i put my 2 checkers in, hold my finger on the tops as i turn the motor over with a big ratchet, and watch and feel that the pushrod isnt moving for a couple partial turns of the ratchet, then put my rockers on and adjust my checker to zero lash, pull it out and measure with a large caliper, then add my preload. I measure all pushrods at least 3 times to verify i am correct. Works every time.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just use TDC. Cylinder #1 lifters are both on the base circle at this position.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did both and ended up with same measurements. Do what makes you feel confident in your readings.

Quick Reply: Measuring lifter preload. EOIC VS TDC Compression?