Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious squeaking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious squeaking noise...

Last spring I did heads and cam swap on my 01 ws6. About 1000 miles after I started hearing a squeak. It would start a few seconds after a cold start and last a few minutes as the engine warms up. Its not very loud and is on the driver side of the engine. Its been 2500 miles since the swap and the noise has not changed. I'm pretty sure its not coming from the belt drive.

I have a hunch it might be the bushings in the rockers I installed at the same time as the cam.

I just removed the driver side rockers. They seem to move smooth, with some resistance in places. I did notice the rear exhaust rocker has a groove in the side of the bushing. Inside of the bushing wear.Could this be causing the squeak? Any ideas on what else it would be?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Check for exhaust leak.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

I have. Id doesn't seem to be that.

I disassembled one of the rocker, the bushings are worn more than I would think they should be for amount of miles on them.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you determined if this was the cause. How many miles on those trunions and was this the only one you have inspected, it doesn't look like excessive wear. I currently use Smith Brothers Trunions and have about 36k miles on them. When I did my cam swap I took apart all trunions and inspected for wear, they almost looked new. What are your cam specs and what springs are you using?

You can get a replacement trunion and 2 bushings from BTR for $12 if needed.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
Have you determined if this was the cause. How many miles on those trunions and was this the only one you have inspected, it doesn't look like excessive wear. I currently use Smith Brothers Trunions and have about 36k miles on them. When I did my cam swap I took apart all trunions and inspected for wear, they almost looked new. What are your cam specs and what springs are you using?

You can get a replacement trunion and 2 bushings from BTR for $12 if needed.
I'm not sure if this is the cause, just trying to do process of elimination. The trunnions have a little over 2,000 miles on them. The cam is 228/228 .600 lift with BTR dual springs.
I cant imagine these would be in very good shape with 34k more miles on them.
Right now I'm debating on just rebuild the one rocker with new parts, or doing all 16 again...
Old 04-06-2017, 03:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like that bushing was starving for oil.

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Quick Reply: Mysterious squeaking noise...