Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Robust Trunion Upgrade. Data Speaks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Robust Trunion Upgrade. Data Speaks.

Is there a robust trunion upgrade for the stock rocker running .600 lift with a dual spring?

There is a lot of discussion with no definitive answer (I read the 40pg straub thread). I am looking for pictures or data saying that the Straub, CHE, BTR, or Comp kit HAS (not I think it will) hold up on a car that will see city/ highway driving for 40,000+ miles. Show me pictures, give me numbers and prove these. Data doesn't lie.

What is the set it and forget it trunion upgrade?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

I asked the same thing a while back, went with Straub, they were very easy to install. The elimination of valve covers spacers was the main reason.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 19corvette98
In a performance engine? None. Doesn't exist. The onus is on the owner to maintain his engine.

That being said the real answer is the OEM setup with compromises made to lift, duration, spring pressure, and engine operating speed. I pulled apart a set of 250,000km stock trunnions and there was next to no wear indicated in them - and this was a B4C LS1 so you know it has more run hours than the mileage indicates.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the trunion upgrade isnt really an upgrade?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:29 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyCheese1
So the trunion upgrade isnt really an upgrade?
It is if you've ever had the stock trunions come apart...
Old 05-05-2017, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

Originally Posted by KCS
It is if you've ever had the stock trunions come apart...
I guess we should go to overhead cams?

EDIT: What trunnion bearings are the LT1/LT4 using?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
I guess we should go to overhead cams?
Wherever floats your boat.

EDIT: What trunnion bearings are the LT1/LT4 using?
Guys in the Gen V Section might know.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

^ pretty much stock style, but the heads are very different. Rocker ratio is higher also.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
^ pretty much stock style, but the heads are very different. Rocker ratio is higher also.
Just as I figured. Wonder if we are seeing a rash of failures in Gen Vs from increased valvetrain demands too? The OEM stuff is really good when used within its designed limitations - if it ain't broke, keep upgrading it until it is.

BTR LS ROCKER ARM TRUNNION KIT FOR LS7 AND GEN V LT1/4
https://www.briantooleyracing.com/bt...ls7-30115.html

EDIT: Before I **** off on this well beaten subject. I do find it odd that no one has sourced an existing caged needle bearing with an inner race that fits over the stock rocker shaft. I mean it isn't like Comp and friends started making their own bearings, these parts are being sourced from somewhere. For example: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi.../nrb_us_en.pdf
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi.../prg_us_us.pdf
http://www.skf.com/ca/en/products/be...ngs/index.html
But, I suppose we are all guilty of letting others do the thinking and legwork for us - it is just easier that way.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=909...20race&f=false

Last edited by mOtOrHeAd MiKe; 05-05-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

They use a cast in stand like the ls7 heads so valvetrain geometry is different.
There is a reason you cant use the "crane spring tool" on ls7 or gmpplsx cyl heads. the springs sit so far down it doesnt even compress them.
You cannot compare them PLUS they would only be a couple years old....so not nearly the wear and tear on them vs an 00 camaro.

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 05-05-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a trunion upgrade kit from Michigan Motor Sports, Good quality and easy install, comes with a plastic sleeve that holds the rollers in place until the trunion is pushed into the bearing. Worked slick..
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It could be attributed to no assy lube used or the lube being too thin.
Possibly a good idea to have use a break in additive to help the surfaces break in just like old school lifters etc.
Just a thought, but im pretty sure alot were dry fired and just ran.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I soaked mine in Mobil one and STP mixture..
Old 05-05-2017, 11:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The stp i understand. The mobile not so much. For install id either use redline or Joe Gibbs in both the bearing and on the trunion. I DID originally type shaft...but MAN did that sound a bit too awkward for a car forum!
Anyway if it were already assembled would be the harder part. That would require the soaking you implied but id not soak it in any reg or synthetic oil. Id look at the joe Gibbs break in oil or the numerous break in additives out there now. Not rotella or vr1 though.
Just my .02
Old 05-06-2017, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Smith Brothers Bronze Trunnions and have over 36k miles on them and they have normal wear. I made the switch from Comp Trunnions which failed at 8k miles for me.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Just as I figured. Wonder if we are seeing a rash of failures in Gen Vs from increased valvetrain demands too? The OEM stuff is really good when used within its designed limitations - if it ain't broke, keep upgrading it until it is.

BTR LS ROCKER ARM TRUNNION KIT FOR LS7 AND GEN V LT1/4
https://www.briantooleyracing.com/bt...ls7-30115.html

EDIT: Before I **** off on this well beaten subject. I do find it odd that no one has sourced an existing caged needle bearing with an inner race that fits over the stock rocker shaft. I mean it isn't like Comp and friends started making their own bearings, these parts are being sourced from somewhere. For example: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi.../nrb_us_en.pdf
http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi.../prg_us_us.pdf
But, I suppose we are all guilty of letting others do the thinking and legwork for us - it is just easier that way.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=909...20race&f=false
I checked into that. The cost isn't really cost effective. What we did was take the trunion and manufacture it out of 52100. Then we heat treated the ends where the bearing rides and ground the surfaces. They have about 20k miles on them so far with no wear whatsoever. One of the larger manufactures (Comp) should be able to get a double race bearing made to their specifications pretty cheap for the volumes they buy. The companies I visit will make them with ease.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by joyridin'
I checked into that. The cost isn't really cost effective. What we did was take the trunion and manufacture it out of 52100. Then we heat treated the ends where the bearing rides and ground the surfaces. They have about 20k miles on them so far with no wear whatsoever. One of the larger manufactures (Comp) should be able to get a double race bearing made to their specifications pretty cheap for the volumes they buy. The companies I visit will make them with ease.
More info on this would be good.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by 19corvette98
Is there a robust trunion upgrade for the stock rocker running .600 lift with a dual spring?

There is a lot of discussion with no definitive answer (I read the 40pg straub thread). I am looking for pictures or data saying that the Straub, CHE, BTR, or Comp kit HAS (not I think it will) hold up on a car that will see city/ highway driving for 40,000+ miles. Show me pictures, give me numbers and prove these. Data doesn't lie.

I can share this data from my 99TA:

Stock rockers no issues have ran over 130,000 miles with .581 lift XE-R cam, Comp Cams 987 dual springs on TEA heads. Also 30,000 miles on same rockers when car was bolt on only. Total of 160,000 miles on stock rockers.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-06-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

An aggressive camshaft profile will fail the OEM rocker before it will fail the bushing trunnion kit. For those that are going aggressive on cam profile you need to go to a full roller rocker and a lifter with a .750" wheel since 95% of all profiles are designed for a .750" wheel diameter.

To date we have a little over 40K miles on 1 set of the bushing trunnions in a period of 16 months in a driving school corvette. I have several customers with over 10K miles on trunnion kits. I have airboat engine builder customer with over 300 hours on 4 LS3 engines with sustained 4400 rpm trips for 3 to 5 hours at a haul.

Again, the bushing trunnions will give out at some point, BUT when they start to fail they will tell you and warn you with increased valve train noise. When a needle bearing from the OEM or aftermarket fails it can and will cause catastrophic engine failure where as the bronze bushing material will pass through the pump and be collected in the oil filter.

Our customers report that after the install of the bushing trunnion kit the LS valvetrain is the quietest it has ever been in his or her vehicle.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
More info on this would be good.
No. It was just an experiment. It is not a cost effective option. We had the material and the guy I did it with works at a bearing manufacturer, so it was cheap and free.

Quick Reply: Robust Trunion Upgrade. Data Speaks.