Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston to Valve method

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes me feel better about my Polluter V2 cam and unmilled 243's that will be going on my car soon. I'm still going to measure, but I don't think Ill have any PTV issues.

And I feel ya when it comes to working in cramped spaces. I used my old apartment garage several times to work on my SSS back in the day. It sucked.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Figured I would give a little update.

Finished the car this past weekend after dealing with a few setbacks/hiccups.

Put about 30 mi. on it with a startup tune and it drives so damn nice considering it's just a startup tune and all the changes I made.

I have not gone wot yet, just 1/2 throttle. Still on last year's storage gas.

Valve train is pretty damn quiet. No sewing machine that accompanies some cam installs.

At this point I'm very happy with the results and can't wait for my final tune. Thing feels like it just wants to go.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You could do basically the same thing with feeler gauges instead of clay. Move the crank a degree at a time from about 5-15 degrees before and after TDC and measure the gap between the rocker and valve stem with feeler gauges every degree. The tightest point is your PTV. Is that what you meant in your first post when you said you used feeler gauges?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NEstyle
You could do basically the same thing with feeler gauges instead of clay. Move the crank a degree at a time from about 5-15 degrees before and after TDC and measure the gap between the rocker and valve stem with feeler gauges every degree. The tightest point is your PTV. Is that what you meant in your first post when you said you used feeler gauges?
Yes that is what I meant. I felt the clay gave me a more accurate measurement because it compressed the clay to the absolute smallest clearance as opposed to feeler gages and switching thicknesses and sliding them in and out.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

How often do you guys recommend changing springs with that kind of lift? .635" .610"

Currently running BTR .660"
I put about 5,000 miles on a season. Would doing it the start of each season be overkill ?

Quick Reply: Piston to Valve method