Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified LS3 head to LS1 block

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WertyLimit
Here is the heads i was talking about: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/nal-88958758 It is 1356$ for pair, and allready CNC ported. Why head ports should be ported again? I know LS3 head ports are not optimal for small bore heads, so what?. First question was does the engine even run, or how crappy the power curve is. Sure there is choke point at intake valve, but let it be there. If i had lots of money, i would buy those heads and test it out. If it outruns ported 243, or equals with aftermarket heads, then test is success. Machine shop guy said it is possible, but he did not mention how profitable it is. He is doing what the customer payed for.
That's not how it works. The big ports are going to make it a dog. The big chambers are going to make it a dog. The big valves are going to make it hit the cylinder wall.

99% of the time, a smaller port, well flowing head, will outperform a larger port. It doesn't even have to flow that many CFM. A head with good velocity in a small port (but large enough to provide enough air to the cylinder) will always outperform a large port. That is why home port jobs often lose power because they are just made bigger, and not better than the original port shape. You will run into this "bigger just to be bigger" effect with those square port heads on a small bore engine. It's just not needed. Look at the size of the ports on a small block head sometime in comparison to any LS head. LS ports, even cathedrals, are huge in comparison to a lot of the sought after factory small block castings.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Well im sorry, but i have to stay in the box with all of you guys. I just purchased used 799(243) heads from ebay. DIY head port, and rebuild with new parts. Is this the right budget choice?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Well im sorry, but i have to stay in the box with all of you guys. I just purchased used 799(243) heads from ebay. DIY head port, and rebuild with new parts. Is this the right budget choice?
It's worked for many so far, so don't go crazy with the DIY porting, use quality components, and you should be okay.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Teching In

There is tons of posts about this question, but i ask it anyway. I think i have to buy new valves anyway, so how about mild oversize valves for 243 heads?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Mast small bore ls3's on a 3.90x4" 383 would be a hot ticket taken to 7500+
Old 07-19-2017, 08:55 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

There is tons of posts about this question, but i ask it anyway. I think i have to buy new valves anyway, so how about mild oversize valves for 243 heads?
It would be most beneficial for the intake valves, the exhaust valves won't really help much but they're often cracked below the valve tip. The main thing is that you have a machinist cut the new valvejob for the larger valves. You don't really want to just put them in with the stock valvejob that was meant for a 2.00" valve.

Quick Reply: Modified LS3 head to LS1 block