Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help deciding

Hey guys, I finally sold my 87 trans am that I swapped a 5.3 in. Well not only days after someone posted a 1968 lemans and I guess I needed to fill the void ( or ask for more trouble). Anyways I'd like to start planning a build now so I can just save up as needed and keep an eye out on deals.

I was thinking either 6.0 or a 5.3 with a torquestorm supercharger. I was planning to basically go over the motor and make sure it's all good then probably just swap out the cam with supporting vales train.

As far as money goes, there's really no budget as of yet but I don't wanna go super crazy as this will be a mostly street build. With that in mind should I plan on porting and polishing the stock heads or just rock them as they are and maybe eventually do it? A 6.0 around here costs about 1500 where a 5.3 will cost maybe 500. What would be the difference in power if they were built exactly the same? Finally the main reason a torquestorm​​​​ sc is bc for 2800$ you get the full kit ready to go. Anyways guys I figured any help from yall here will be greatly appreciated as you guys know hell of alot more than I do.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats a good looking Supercharger, I have not read anything about those till you mentioned
it. http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...nered-engines/
Old 08-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That was a nice read. According to that it's more realistic to see near 200 hp gain thru an ls. Stock 6.0 is around 300 hp? Doesn't sound to bad at all. Maybe I'll go 6.0 with a cam to support the supercharger. Up grade valve train. What would you guys recommend as far as "upgrades" Keep in mind that it'll have 100k plus in miles from junkyard unless I buy a core from the for around 200 and rebuild it. But that's a crap shoot depending on how "bad" the motor was.

Quick Reply: Help deciding