Sponsored by:

Turbo Cam Selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turbo Cam Selection

Since I am assembling my engine I have been debating upgrading the camshaft. The cam that was in this motor has some funky lift and duration, with higher lift and duration on the intake then the exhaust. I think the previous owner was running nitrous and installed this cam. From what I have seen with turbo cams, they typically favor more exhaust duration. (current cam is .640/.601 lift 227/224 duration @ 50 lobe separation 115+2)

I’m thinking about going with either BTR stage II or Tick Performance stage II turbo cam (tick has slightly more duration). My build is a LS1 with 241 heads milled to get my compression ratio to 10:1, cp forged turbo pistons, eagle rods, 4” crank. (383 cubic inch), I’m running a single front mounted Turbonetics 7875 turbo, with a 3600rpm stall and 3.23 gears at 5000ft elevation. (despite what people say turbos spool slower at this altitude).

My goal is a nice choppy idle, and quick spooling. The old cam was okay but I think it should spool quicker. Now that I have a forged motor I want to crank up the boost and see what kind of power I can make. This really isn’t a race car, just a fun fast street car to go cruising in with occasional trips to the track.

My question is will I gain much in performance and spool time swapping out the cam, enough to justify the purchase? If so should I stick with these stage II cams, or would there be a better cam to go with?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Tell ya what. Give any or all of Cam Motion, Texas Speed and Performance, or Brian Tooley a call and they will line you up with the cam you need. They are the pros.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

Keeping the exhaust open longer does help esp since its what drives the turbo. You dont need a super wide lsa either. They run mid 220s intake and low to mid 230s exhaust with a 113 lsa. Thats pretty much what i would do.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Manifolds instead of headers, small-ish hot-side piping 2.25"-2.5" and wrapped in thermal tape will all promote "kicking" the vanes harder/faster spooling etc.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I already have manifolds, with 2.5" piping all heat wrapped (both to help spool and keep under hood temps down). I'm at higher altitude and despite what people think we push less air, and thus turbos spool slower.

My biggest question is yes i know a tubo cam helps make more power, but is it gonna make much more power and spool time over what i have? it seems that is the question no one can answer for me. Think i'm just gonna do it so i don't have to question it anymore...
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
I already have manifolds, with 2.5" piping all heat wrapped (both to help spool and keep under hood temps down). I'm at higher altitude and despite what people think we push less air, and thus turbos spool slower.

My biggest question is yes i know a tubo cam helps make more power, but is it gonna make much more power and spool time over what i have? it seems that is the question no one can answer for me. Think i'm just gonna do it so i don't have to question it anymore...
I would most certainly change out your cam from the one you have now
Not sure which rocker arms you're running but I'd not try opening the valve more than .600" as the geometry of the rocker tip just gets maxxed out and begins to "scrub"
IMO a shorter duration intake lobe will close sooner and drive the cranking compression AND vac. up making it both more responsive AND spool faster
Something like the EPS 214/232 @114 thinking Geoff calls it his truck torque...plenty of great vendors on here can get you right though

Quick Reply: Turbo Cam Selection