Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windage tray issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default windage tray issues

Hello everyone I just got my 408 back from the machine shop I'm running a moroso 20143 pan with LS1 tray well I told my Machinest it would need moddified to fit well when I picked it up he had put it together without a tray and said he couldn't get it to fit, so I just took it and am going to install it myself does anyone have pics of where to grind I found the tread started on it but the pics are no good and also will I need a new oil pan gasket thanks everyone

Last edited by King23; 10-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you referring to the windage tray not fitting due to the stroke? If so, adding 2 washers to each stud will provide the necessary clearance to space the windage tray out far enough to clear the stroke. If you're referring to the windage tray not working with the pan, then I'm not sure with that one...

On my 403" we added two washers like I mentioned and it cleared just fine. I was running the stock oil pan and had to grind a little material from the front (where the dimple is) in order to clear the rod bolt.

Add the necessary washers to the windage tray studs, place the pan gasket on with the pan and turn the engine over by hand (slowly) and listen for any interference (hitting). If you dont hear or feel anything then bolt it on and go.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:03 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm assuming you mean the 20143 pan and the 24050 pickup tube.

You're going to have to test fit to see where it hits, but the problem is mainly the pickup tube clearing the windage tray. It will need to be ground near the front corner of the tray where the tube makes the turn to the oil pump flange. If you used ARP studs, the holes will need to be opened up with a uni-bit and since it's a stroker, you likely need spacers under the windage tray as well to clear the connecting rods. As always, measure pan to pickup clearance.

You should be okay to reuse the gasket too if it was new when it went on.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I found this on YB Forum:

You will need to grind down the back corner of the windage tray on the pass side( got to round it off an take about a 1/4" off) an then you will have to notch/cut a small section out where the dip stick tube bolts on the tray...if you are also like me and run a double roller chain you will need to elongate the bolt hole on their also so it all works..hope this helps
Old 10-06-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it's a 408 stroker arp studs, and yes that moroso pan and pickup sorry for the misunderstanding on part numbers I was driving and didn't notice it, it was a new gasket as well I will tear it down soon and keep it updated I will try to get some pics as I go for anyone who attempts it in the future. Meanwhile if anyone finds pics of the correct spots or has further adivce please chime in as this is all new to me.

Quick Reply: windage tray issues