Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine damage diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine damage diagnosis

Hi, this is my first time posting here, but have been reading the forums for some time.

Anyway, I´m helping a friend with a 5.3 engine which was bored to 5.7 specs, the engine ran great for a short period of time but soon began with a knock sound.

We have taken apart the engine and it doesn´t look good, the oil pan is full of metal debris, and the cylinder walls look scratched, the piston we just took out looks bad too.

Do you think this engine can be saved? this is the first LS engine we deal with and don´t know if its worth trying to fix it or go straight to a 6.0

Here are some pics:

Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 667 Likes on 462 Posts

Doesn't look worth saving, to me.

I'd be curious (not that it really matters anymore) where all the metal debris came from; what broke first and tore everything else up. Then learn from that and try to avoid that happening again in the future.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Doesn't look worth saving, to me.

I'd be curious (not that it really matters anymore) where all the metal debris came from; what broke first and tore everything else up. Then learn from that and try to avoid that happening again in the future.
Looks like the piston ringland cracked.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 667 Likes on 462 Posts

Yup, that one does look cracked.

Question would be, was that "the start" of the cascading catastrophe (i.e. by pure dumb luck he just happened to pull out the one out of the 8 that failed and then somehow proceeded to take out the entire rest of the engine), or whether it's just collateral damage. Which is actually what it looks like to me.

Wouldn't be too surprised to find out that it's actually an oil pickup tube O-ring issue.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

would have to see piston top and chamber, but detonation will do it to a hyper piston in a heartbeart, and that's not a forged slug.