Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Heads for Valve Concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018 | 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Pulling Heads for Valve Concern

Hello everyone! I'm starting this thread to document the process of pulling my top end apart to replace a few valves that have lost their hardened tips. I first noticed this last year when swapping out my valve springs. The worst is the intake valve on the number one cylinder (shown below)

Pulling Heads for Valve Concern-imag0119.jpg

Pulling Heads for Valve Concern-imag0121.jpg

As painful as it is to go this far into the motor without upgrading the heads, cam or intake, I have already spent too much on the car this year (RPM level V, McLeod RXT, MWC rear), so the motor will have to wait. I have a pretty fun setup that should still allow me to run decent times at the track this fall anyway.

With that I'd like some of your opinions on a few things; my choice of head gaskets, fasteners, trunion upgrade, and whether or not I should upgrade the lifters. My current setup is:

GTP stage 2 LS1 heads with Ferrea 2.02 intake and 1.57 exhaust valves. PSI 1511 springs with BTR titanium retainers. Currently milled .030 with estimated 62-63 cc chambers

Thunder Racing TR227 cam - 227/224 .569 .563 113

I'm full bolt ons outside of that, minus my still stock LS6 intake manifold.

Do you think going with a Cometic .040 or .045 gasket would be a good move? I think my DCR will still be below 8.9, but should get the static number pretty close to 11:1.

Also, while everything is apart should I put in LS2 lifter trays and new lifters? I was contemplating just going to Johnson 2110 lifters, as I believe I still have the factory ones in the motor. Is there another reasonably priced lifter I should consider?

The last thing I will do is upgrade the trunions in the stock rockers with BTR's kit.

I know there's a lot of settling in this "refresh", but I just need it to do well for a few years until I decide my next move. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Tang2; 07-21-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2018 | 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would absolutely do new lifters and trays (assuming the stock ones have some mileage) morel 5315 are a great budget minded option.

what's the octane rating for gas near you?
Old 07-21-2018 | 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
I would absolutely do new lifters and trays (assuming the stock ones have some mileage) morel 5315 are a great budget minded option.

what's the octane rating for gas near you?
I only have about 21,000 miles on my 02 WS6, but I have no problem upgrading the lifters while the heads are off. We have 93 octane here. I've been running 28 degrees of timing on my current setup at WOT with no knock.
Old 07-24-2018 | 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't forget rockers, the rockers that rode on damaged valve tips are likely damaged and will damage the new valves if you reuse them.

Quick Reply: Pulling Heads for Valve Concern