Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q about rebuilt startup oiling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018 | 12:55 PM
Teching In

Default Q about rebuilt startup oiling?

Due to my previous lifter/pushrod issues, I have replaced the lifters, pushrods, and installed new upgraded trunnion rockers.
With the spark plugs out, coils never installed, rocker covers off, I am turning the motor with remote starter button.
I also replaced the oil and filter.
Question: How much oiling on the rockers is normal at starter rpm?
It took 2-3 minutes cranking time to see any oil. I starting thinking I need to hook up a external oil pressure gage. Pulled Pressure sending unit, but did not have adapter to fit the bore, So I then pulled the gallery plug just below #1. I also did not have adapter to fit this hole (BTW, what size are these holes?), but oil started draining out, I assume coming back down from the head. Held my finger over the hole, turned the motor over, about 20 sec I could feel pressure build. Put plug back in. Then another 2-3 minutes I saw the rockers looked a little wetter than they were, wiped one down, and confirmed oil coming up pushrod, but very slow rate.
Old 10-08-2018 | 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

If the rockers are prelubed they should be OK for a while during cranking. Both needle bearings and bronze bushings (I forget which you have) can handle running without fresh lube for a while.