Sponsored by:

split second mechanical over-rev

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by NCDEERE
You can pick up a bore scope on Amazon for your smart phone for less that $20.00 and it has great resolution and you can take pics.
That's pretty sweet!

OP, it's probably OK as others said. If peace of mind is needed pulling the plugs and checking with a cell phone bore scope could confirm.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

check your rocker tips for marks from float.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this not too long ago. A good tip is to grab the shifter with your palm facing the passenger side and thumb down. My car made it out fine but I have arp rod bolts, valve relief pistons, dual springs, and hardened pushrods
Old 11-01-2018, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by dan.b
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I will try a Borescope first. Believe me this is embarrassing to post lol.. I’ve never done anything close to as stupid as this. The on-ramp is a slight right turn which is the only reason I can think of myself yanking it toward second. ******* stupid and I am sick over it. Worst case I do have another ls1 ready to drop in haha

The slight right is exactly why you did it, you were pulling on the shifter to hold your body. It took me a while to figure out how I did this twice on one car, and after a long time of thinking I realized I was in a right hand curve on the highway banging gears, had never done it in any other car and I have driven at least 100 standard shift cars really hard so I was kinda messed up by it lol until I figured out what the deal was. Both times I did it I was going around a right hand curve. It wasn't even my car lol. I pulled the head and put valves in it both times, because it idled rough immediately after the money shift. Two weeks after I did it the second time, the owner of the car did the exact same thing and I had to pull the head again.

Anyway, if it's hurt you should know, but it doesn't hurt to take a look.

Don't feel too bad, I used to have a friend that everything was handed to him and he couldn't drive for ****, he money shifted from 3rd to second 3 times in a row trying to race another car on the highway one night, that was a LS1 T/A, it didn't seem to hurt anything, somehow.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

My first ever dragstrip pass in 2001, 3 months after buying it new, I went from 2nd to 1st locked up the rear and ran a 15.7 @ coasting and was sure I blew up my car right in front of the crowd. Went home with a 13.7 that day but raced it almost monthly for the next few years and when I swapped heads in '04/'05 had no eyebrows nor bent pushrods. Years later at least once maybe twice did the 3-2 on the highway, suffered no consequences. Sometimes you get lucky.