Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C car idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C car idle problems

Hello all! I've been tracking down an issue and I think it may be due to my high volume oil pump giving a little excess from the pcv into my tb and clogging up my IAC a little bit. The issue I'm having is that a lot of the times while I drive it it'll go from it's normal idle at 900 to about 400-500 and I gotta hold a foot on the brake and gas in neutral at stop lights because I REALLY don't like it idling so low. I ordered a catch can to try to see if that helps due to these engines sucking down oil lol. Another problem that may cause it might be my header leak towards the firewall passenger side CYL 8 leaks and I need to pull the head off to fix it properly because it's stripped would that cause that much of an issue with the idle? Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue maybe my IAC is just bad I replaced the IAC and TPS when I did the swap due to paranoia. I have a 2001 WS6 if that helps at all. 243 heads and a tsp v2 torquer cam and some other mods
Old 10-22-2018, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil pressure will have absolutely no effect on idle. You have idle issues because you need your engine tuned.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Oil pressure will have absolutely no effect on idle. You have idle issues because you need your engine tuned.
Car is professionally dyno tuned. My thoughts on the oil pump is that i changed the volume of it and these engines are notorious oil burners so I figured its too much for my IAC to handle.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That cam is requiring the idle airflow tables to need revisiting
The following users liked this post:
Coy (09-11-2023)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by MistakenGeneral
Car is professionally dyno tuned. My thoughts on the oil pump is that i changed the volume of it and these engines are notorious oil burners so I figured its too much for my IAC to handle.
LS engines are not notorious oil burners. And your high volume oil pump is not causing it to burn more oil. You need your professional dyno tuner to revisit the tune, as has been said above.
BTW, the only LS engines that need a high volume pump are those with DOD or VVT, or both.
The following users liked this post:
Coy (09-11-2023)
Old 10-23-2018, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
LS engines are not notorious oil burners. And your high volume oil pump is not causing it to burn more oil. You need your professional dyno tuner to revisit the tune, as has been said above.
BTW, the only LS engines that need a high volume pump are those with DOD or VVT, or both.
Oh well on the oil pump, the car ran really great for a month or two then started having the issue every now and then, are these cars really that picky?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by MistakenGeneral
Oh well on the oil pump, the car ran really great for a month or two then started having the issue every now and then, are these cars really that picky?
With a bad or marginal tune any car or truck with electronic fuel injection is finicky, picky and fussy. I think the other posters pointed that out.

With that said, is there a lot of carbon build up in the throttle body? Sometimes a good decarbon treatment and cleaning the TB can help. If the IAC passages in the TB are full of gunk they may need to be cleaned too. When my TA had a bad valve seal oil would get tossed back into the intake and end up in the TB. I would pull the TB and check it for build up and dirt if that's not already been done.

If the TB is really dirty the vehicle may still idle poorly until the PCM gets an idle relearn.

My 250,000 mile 02 Z28 would take issue with being called an a "notorious oil burner". Burned 1/2 a quart over the last 4,000 miles, less than my Tundra burns

​​​​​​My TA and RS both stroker LS engines burn even less than oil than the Z28.

Often when an LS burns a lot of oil a valve seal is bad. Getting that fixed isn't a big deal.

BTW - I would add an LSA or LS9 block with oil squirters for the pistons to the list of applications where a high volume oil pump is needed.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 10-23-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
With a bad or marginal tune any car or truck with electronic fuel injection is finicky, picky and fussy. I think the other posters pointed that out.

With that said, is there a lot of carbon build up in the throttle body? Sometimes a good decarbon treatment and cleaning the TB can help. If the IAC passages in the TB are full of gunk they may need to be cleaned too. When my TA had a bad valve seal oil would get tossed back into the intake and end up in the TB. I would pull the TB and check it for build up and dirt if that's not already been done.

If the TB is really dirty the vehicle may still idle poorly until the PCM gets an idle relearn.

My 250,000 mile 02 Z28 would take issue with being called an a "notorious oil burner". Burned 1/2 a quart over the last 4,000 miles, less than my Tundra burns

​​​​​​My TA and RS both stroker LS engines burn even less than oil than the Z28.

Often when an LS burns a lot of oil a valve seal is bad. Getting that fixed isn't a big deal.

BTW - I would add an LSA or LS9 block with oil squirters for the pistons to the list of applications where a high volume oil pump is needed.
If you could make a single post on here without referencing 12 of your XXX,XXX mile vehicles that would be great
Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by ddnspider
If you could make a single post on here without referencing 12 of your XXX,XXX mile vehicles that would be great
I'm striving to be the high mile version of HioSSilver

Enjoy this single post w/o xxx,xxx miles - wink
Old 10-23-2018, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I'm striving to be the high mile version of HioSSilver

Enjoy this single post w/o xxx,xxx miles - wink
I literally LOL'd at that
Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Id get that catch can on there and then clean the MAF and IAC/TB, Double check all your PCV hoses too for leaks or cracks. As in take them off the vehicle if you can.

How does the car react in stop and go driving? Cold Vs hot idle?

If it was fine for 2 months it makes me think its not tune related.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trilkb
Id get that catch can on there and then clean the MAF and IAC/TB, Double check all your PCV hoses too for leaks or cracks. As in take them off the vehicle if you can.

How does the car react in stop and go driving? Cold Vs hot idle?

If it was fine for 2 months it makes me think its not tune related.
well stop and go is alright, my TB isnt gummes up. My car has 89k miles on it about 86k when i did the heads and cam and mostly good besides the idling issue. I cleaned the hell outta the TB and i cleaned it again the other day when there was nothing in it for safe measure. My catch can should be here this weekend and I'll install it. I may take it to the shop that tuned it and he can data log it maybe? I'm not too sure this is my first build and I daily the car. Isnt tuned with AC so it runs a little different with it on and i think thats where most of my issue may come from the idle wont come back when i shut it off so I'm not 100% but I'm sure you guys know way more than I do.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
none at all? I am shopping for a good tuner.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurocy
None at all? I am shopping for a good tuner.
Correct. None at all. Where are you? Then someone can steer you to someone in your area.