Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would excessive Copper Gasket Spray be harmful?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Would excessive Copper Gasket Spray be harmful?

Another thread got me thinking about this the other day.

If someone applied the copper spray a bit too heavy, what effects would it have other than being useless?

Could it damage anything in the combustion chamber, or just burn off? I would imagine that you wouldn't want that stuff floating around in the cooling system, so that would be less than ideal, but other than that, I'm unsure on how it would affect anything really?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

No need to gunk the spray on, but if someone were to really put it on thick and runny, it likely wouldn’t hurt anything. The stuff dries really quickly. It would be long dry before you got coolant in the engine, unless your rebuilding between rounds at an NHRA event in the Nitro class...which those engines don’t have coolant in them...but you get what I’m saying.
I spray my gaskets. Don’t care what anybody says or thinks about that honestly. I spray an even light coat, and wait 2-3 minutes or so before I set them on the block. By the time I set them on, they are very tacky. Do this in a clean room, or assembly room. Any dust or airborne particles will stick to the gaskets. Set the head on quickly to avoid contaminants.
Cool story...my 434” had a ring/oil control issue. I put 50 miles on it and had to pull it back down. I absolutely dreaded pulling the heads back off because I just knew the block surface would be nasty, the head surfaces would be nasty, etc....WRONG. The heads pulled right off the block surface without issue and both surfaces still looked new. No residue. Nothing red colored. Not even a hint of spray ever being there. I was amazed.