Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads pitted after cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Heads pitted after cleaning

I hot tanked a bunch of 5.3 parts I had off a unknown motor I just got. Didn’t realize that ZEP purple degreaser eats aluminum apparently and the heads surfaces are now pitted. Do you guys think I can run these as is with MLS gaskets or should I get them shaved .005 for insurance? Also I’m new to the Trumbull CT area and looking for a machine shop possibly.

Normally i I don’t hot tank and I just razor the surfaces but this one had a lot of carbon and crap all over the heads and a few valves were rusted up so I decided to tank it for the first time.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, purple power and similar degreasers will really corrode aluminum. Those need to be resurfaced. Also check other machined surfaces, like rocker arm stands and valve cover rails. They need to be flat, too. The valve seats are probably fine, since they are not alum. Not sure about the valve guides, but they're probably OK, too.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Yea, I just heard back from a shop and it’s going to be $160. Damn...

its on every surface, the heads were submerged in a tank and vibrated for 2 hrs. They are clean as a whistle but now all the surfaces are porus. Not to worried about the other stuff I guess bc it should still seal but the sealing rings on the heads is fucked on these heads.