Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Lift Points

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Lift Points

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question.

Wondering if I can attach my engine hoist to the tapped holes at the ends of the cylinder heads? Will be attaching at each end of both heads. I know they have a plate that attaches where the manifold is for supporting the engine from a cherry picker, but I don't want to pull the manifold.

Engine is an aluminum LS1 from a 2000 TransAm. Will be lifting the engine with the trans (4L60E) attached. Will these connection points be strong enough to carry the load? What if I remove the trans?
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Now way would I just connect a chain between the front of the heads and remove it with the transmission still attached but I'm sure someone will chime in and say you can do it! Why not lift the car off the engine and transmission?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I would pull the intake anyway, Even with a load leveler you can still possibly break the manifold. I've used the holes on either end of the heads even with a 4l80e attached, I've used the water pump mounting bolts in an iron block and I've used the bellhousing bolts.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:10 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I would pull the intake anyway, Even with a load leveler you can still possibly break the manifold. I've used the holes on either end of the heads even with a 4l80e attached, I've used the water pump mounting bolts in an iron block and I've used the bellhousing bolts.
Exactly this. I always pull the intake off. Pretty much any of those holes work. I find what works best for what I'm doing and roll with it.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would pull the intake off and buy a lift plate for the valley. That will help immensely if pulling from the top. Granted I disconnected the trans first, but in an FBody the block still needs to tilt almost vertically to get it out from above, and only moreso I imagine if the trans is still attached.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
I would pull the intake off and buy a lift plate for the valley. That will help immensely if pulling from the top. Granted I disconnected the trans first, but in an FBody the block still needs to tilt almost vertically to get it out from above, and only moreso I imagine if the trans is still attached.
I second the lift plate, it made the job so easy. Also of you remove the trim on the cowling you get alot more room to work, take the intake off. Once off the mounts, if you take the radiator and condenser out, slide the motor forward then lift straight out. I tried making it work without disconnecting the ac system but it was impossible.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Ordered a lift plate & suppose to be here Wednesday..

Quick Reply: Engine Lift Points