Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooded Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded Trans Am

About a year ago I purchased a 99 trans am to use as a donor for my iroc swap. Since then I’ve decided to keep the l98 in the iroc and fix the trans am. I bought the car with what the owner said was a blown head gasket. Car actually drove home fine but would eventually smoke. Idled just fine and had no odd noises. Life happened and the car sat for about 6 months. I did start it up for a second to drive it up in to the garage and it seemed fine. I finally get around to pulling the head and confirm the blown head gasket in the # 3 cylinder. I put a new head gasket and button everything back up and the car struggles to start but eventually does. Lots of smoke which I figure to be coolant in the exhaust from the blown head gasket. But I have a really bad misfire through the intake. Something the car did not do prior to Pulling the head. I pulled the intake manifold off today to see if I could figure out why and to my surprise it was filled with fuel. Not a little but about 2 cups full. I looked through the intake ports on the head and a few of them have a substantial amount of fuel in them. I did find that the map sensor in the back of the intake had a bent pin in the plug. Could this have caused this? I don’t feel like the car hydrolocked since it was still running just very rough at idle.At first I suspected a stuck injector but with it being more than one cylinder im leaning towards the bent pin in the map sensor.any idea what it could be?

Last edited by Ls1Iroc87; 01-03-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Sounds like a stuck injector but it's really odd it filled the intake. If the intake valve is closed and it bled off enough fuel with the engine off then that's the only way I see it filled the intake up.

leave the fuel line on, un bolt the fuel rail from the intake and pull it up. turn the key on, don't start it. you'll see really fast if there's an injector stuck open.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. That’s the first thing I’m checking tomorrow. I had thought about an Injector being stuck open. But with with more than one intake port full of fuel it seemed odd that more than one would be stuck open. I had not thought about it filling to the point it overflowed back in to the intake.

Last edited by Ls1Iroc87; 01-04-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:32 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Bent map sensor pin worth investigating too. If map sensor is way off it will command fuel as if at wot
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-04-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Ok so I got a bit of an update. I checked out the pin and harness and everything seems fine. Fired it up and ran well for about 20 seconds. I shut it off to turn on the garage fan for ventilation. Went to turn it back on and got a big misfire. Made me think that an injector kept leaking even after I shut off the key. So I decided to check the pressure at the rail when it primes while also listening to the injectors. Immediately after prime the pressure drops to zero and I can hear an injector continue to spray/leak. So I’m now pretty confident that an injector has gone bad. I did pull them and find out that 7/8 were made by an aftermarket company called TRE while one was stock. I also found one were the injector filter had disintegrated. So I’m pretty sure I found my issue. Anyone have a stock set of injectors?

Last edited by Ls1Iroc87; 01-06-2020 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Flooded Trans Am