Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 head advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben16SS
Yeah I was actually thinking about doing that but around here we only have access to 91 octane and i'm worried about 11:1CR with 91 octane. Do you think it would be ok?
I wouldn't be afraid to run it on 91. Find a MLS head gasket in the size and thickness to help reach desired CR.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Put it in a bucket and get some metal bristle brushes and scotch brite pads and start scrubbing. Engine cleaner works. Brake cleaner. Etc

Do not use oven cleaner. Some people recommend that and it eats the **** out of aluminum. Just make sure it's safe for aluminum whatever you use.

I will say though if you aren't real comfortable with engines you should leave surface cleaning up to someone that is, or just make sure you are extremely gentle and don't use power tools or anything that can remove material in a hurry like sand paper or roloc discs etc.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Put it in a bucket and get some metal bristle brushes and scotch brite pads and start scrubbing. Engine cleaner works. Brake cleaner. Etc

Do not use oven cleaner. Some people recommend that and it eats the **** out of aluminum. Just make sure it's safe for aluminum whatever you use.

I will say though if you aren't real comfortable with engines you should leave surface cleaning up to someone that is, or just make sure you are extremely gentle and don't use power tools or anything that can remove material in a hurry like sand paper or roloc discs etc.
I have rebuilt sbc engines before just never had anything with aluminum heads. I'm gonna clean them up tomorrow. I just remembered my dad has a power washer so that should work pretty well along with some degreaser.

Quick Reply: 6.0 head advice