Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Head Gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Head Gasket.

Hey guys, I have a 1998 Camaro SS LS1 engine and got my oil going into the coolant but not vice versa. So I am planning on doing Heads, Cam, longtube headers, and exhaust. my motor has 218k KILOMETERS on it. Is there a checklist or anything you guys can send to help me replace parts so I have a good engine that I wont be running into problems later on! Whatever you can send will be helpful even if its a kit to make it easier then buying separate parts! For the cam I was wanting to get a BTR stage NA cam other then that let me know all of the things I should replace while doing the head gasket!

Thanks!!
Old 05-02-2020, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 680 Likes on 471 Posts

Oil into coolant but not vice-versa CANNOT be a head gasket. For that to happen, but not the inverse, pressurized oil would have to be adjacent to coolant somewhere; and no such place exists in the heads or the gaskets.

The ONLY place that can happen, is the block; or, if your car has the oil -> water "cooler" in the radiator, there.

I STONGLY suggest that before spending A DIME on any parts to "repair" this, that you find out EXACTLY where the mixing is occurring. Your current diagnosis is incorrect and anything you do is not likely to resolve it.

The following 3 users liked this post by RB04Av:
1955Belair (05-09-2020), G Atsma (05-02-2020), SLP IROC-Z (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 08:42 PM
Teching In

According to mechanic when I got the oil change and coolant drained and refilled it had air bubbles coming in. Unless its just too early and the oil hasnt turned milky. If I posted a picture of how the coolant reservoir looks would that help? I also heard it can be the power steering cooler?
Old 05-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Old 05-03-2020, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 680 Likes on 471 Posts

Yes if you have the type of PS cooler that is oil -> water inside the radiator, then if it leaks, it will leave oily residue in the coolant. HOWEVER, since at certain times (most of the time actually) the pressure in the coolant is HIGHER than in the PS return side, if there's a leak, your PS fluid should also be overfull and SERIOUSLY contaminated as well, since th ereturn line actually has vacuum in it under certain conditions. No coolant in the PS fluid, no leak in the cooler in the radiator.

Whatever "explanation" you / we come up with here, it HAS TO account for ALL the facts we see. If a proposed "explanation" DOESN'T account for ALL the facts, then a new explanation is called for. Don't get all hung up on blaming something for your problem until you are sure that it's the ONLY explanation that fits ALL the facts. (or at the very least, the by far most likely one)

Keep in mind also, the trans fluid cooler can do something similar; but it can be a whole lot harder to spot coolant in the trans fluid. Assuming of course that you have an auto trans.
The following users liked this post:
98Camaro2s (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. Will get everything checked out more thoroughly! I have a Manual transmission will post back once I find out what it actually is!

Quick Reply: LS1 Head Gasket.