Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block repairable or scrap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Block repairable or scrap?

Bought an iron 6.0 block. Didn't notice anything when I went to pick it up, bores and journals looked good, but it had a knick on the inside of the block and it just looked like a small mark where something rubbed. When I got it home and in some good natural light, it looks a lot worse than what I thought. Where that knick is, is actually the oil passage through the block, and looks like it made a hole in it. If the oil passage wasn't there, it looks like it would be repairable.

Might be able to drill out any debris and insert a steel sleeve/tube (would have to drill and insert from the front of the block)? Might be able to run an external line to a remount mount oil filter?

Anyone seen something like this repaired?

3rd option is to just scrap it and count it as a loss. If I don't get any positive responses, I'll take a vacation day from work and bring it down to the local machine shop and see what they say before I send it to the scrap yard.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ay-repair.html
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (08-26-2022)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Unfortunately that's what I was thinking. Oh well, learned a new thing to look for before I buy a block now. I sent a message to the local machine shop as well with the same pictures, just in case they know a magic trick.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Block repairable or scrap?