Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed for possible turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for possible turbo build

I have been reading up on turbo builds and my head is spinning like crazy trying to keep anything straight. There are allot of different builds and opinions out there. This is one of my first posts on here but I have been reading around and have been a member on many other forums for decades. I have built a bunch of small blocks and even more marine big blocks for my boats, like top to bottom, every nut and bolt done by me. LS engine are new to me and turbo engines are even newer.

My car is a 85 grand national t top car being built as a resto mod car with a pro touring style suspension, It is currently getting built frame up and I have pretty much everything to get it done except my engine build

The original goal when I started this build was not to be building a grand national, planned on building one of my regals but I am now doing a GN. When you enter the turbo buick world, it seems that you get judged allot more if you swap out the 3.8, even if it is the hot air motor which in this case had 140k+ on it, barely runs and needs a complete over haul top to bottom. I originally planned to drop a 5.3 LM7 with a fitech complete ultimate ls on it and I have bought nearly all of the hooker/holley swap parts to do it. Well, now I am thinking in another direction, I am thinking I would like a turbo engine in it since it seems to make sense that a turbo buick should have a turbo engine. I have never dealt with turbos outside of my 6.7 ford turbo diesel. I have been thinking that I should find a ls 6.0 block and add a single turbo to it, that way the turbo buick guys can't tell me to rid the turbo 6 badges off my car since it will be a turbo 6.0 lol. My goal is going to be 600-650hp, I want AC, I want to walk outside and be able to turn the key and drive it to work like any other car. I do not want to mess with the HVAC box in the car and really want AC, I do not want to remove the wheel well. I am also open to superchargers but they seem to be significantly more expensive at the end.

Here is what I currently have on the shelf, some of this stuff I am willing to part ways with, others I will build around

I have a LM7 5.3 engine minus the computer and harness but have access to those
Holley front accessories
Hooker coated headers (likley have to sell and buy the hooker turbo manifolds)
holley mounts, brackets, oil pan.....
Fitech ultimate LS computer, manifold,harness, injectors, rails... (willing to change)
Performabuilt 4L60E stage 2 trans that is supposed to be good to 750HP (hoping to stay under 650 so I am very safe
yank 3600 stall
walboro in tank pump
ls1 style fuel regulator
-6 hose to the engine

If the fuel system needs to be upgraded allot, not sure if these are of any use but I have 2 aeromotive a1000 pumps and a -10 efi regulator in the garage

I really like the hooker turbo manifolds for how they will fit, I think that it will allow me to keep all of the accessories and without mocking them up I think I can get my exhaust pipe snaked around everything to keep the wheel well.

I am not 100% sure the fitech is the best option now, I have friends that have been happy with N/A builds but they can not find people to fine tune around us and I have a feeling that with a turbo I will need a tune.

I am ok using the 5.3 maybe for good or upgrade to a 6.0 later, honestly the 5.3 is likely able to get me where I want to be but that detail about a turbo 6 would be cool

Whatever turbo I use I would like one that is dependable. In other words I don't want the best thing on the planet but I do not want the cheapest one out there that might work for 10k miles and blow up on me.

I know that is allot of reading there. I know I have allot to learn here being new to turbos. I really need someone to give me some advice on a direction that I should be going to achieve the goals. I am clueless on what size of turbo, flange sizes, bearing type, how much fuel system is needed at 650hp? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I am asking too much or posting in the wrong spot I will understand if you guys oust me for it . Thanks

Quick Reply: Advice needed for possible turbo build