Engine tick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine tick?

Hey all
My first engine build so I’m paranoid as hell, lol
This engine rebuild has about 3k miles on it.
TFS 30602002 cam, upgraded springs, brand new stock lifters, stock rocker arms, shorty headers
What is this ticking noise? I would like to think it’s exhaust but it sounds mechanical to me. The driver side is completely quiet, it’s coming from the pass side.
You can’t hear it from inside the truck, it isn’t a loud tick, it started off this loud and hasn’t changed in sound period.
Is this rocker related? All are torqued to 22 ft LBS, and I have 7.4 inch pushrods, as recommended by my tuner (milled heads compensates for the pushrod length)
What does this sound like to you?
Old 08-25-2021, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine tick?

Hey all, I;m not sure if the video uploaded or not, but I'm experiencing some ticking on the pass side of my engine. I have 2k miles on the top end rebuild, TFS 30602002 cam, upgraded springs, brand new lifters. Oil pressure sits at 40-55, and you can't hear the tick inside the vehicle, only when hood is open, or while driving near cars with the pass window down. I have verified the rockers are torqued to 22 ftlbs. This noise does not occur on the driver side at all. I'm trying to determine if this is a header leak or something mechanical. The wires are brand new as well so I don't think they are arching. It sounds mechanical, but also only really "ticks" at idle. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2021, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,300 Posts

No video!! Make sure the wires aren't arcing of the exhaust manifold or if you've re-used the metal heat shields you can sometimes cut into the insulator and not even know it. Best way to tell if you have any arcing is to watch it running in the dark. Hopefully you tossed those metal heat shields and replaced them with heat protective sleeves in order to eliminate this issue. An exhaust leak can sound similar to a lifter ticking too so cannot rule that out..GL
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (08-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Engine tick?