Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which direction would be cheaper for my 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which direction would be cheaper for my 4.8

I have a 4.8 that i brought from the junkyard like a year ago.I know its a no brainer that the 4.8 are at its best when they are turbocharged. But the cost to do it right is with a turbocharged setup.Has got me wondering it be cheaper if i were to stroke my 4.8 to an 393 ls.i dont have the equipment to setup a turbo myself. So that leaves me stuck with taking it to a shop.all im looking for is
Around 550 crank hp.what would be cheaper
Old 02-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Any body home

Bump
Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Turbos are the cheapest power. Depending on your vehicle, complete pre-fab kits can be had for a few grand and then the only mods to your 4.8 would be:
Open up the ring end gaps and re-use xxx,xxx miles rings
Turbo friendly camshaft, correct length pushrods, Lunati dual valve spring kit......$750
New oil pump and LS2 timing chain............................................. ...................$200
ARP head bolts and LS9 GM head gaskets........................................... ............$200

Your other option of boring that block .120" over and running a 4.1" stroke will undoubtedly become a five to seven thousand dollar ordeal in order to build a reliable 550 horsepower.

The aforementioned turbo combo can make 700 plus by accident with a cheap Borg Warner S475 and 15 pounds of boost on E85.....
Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the reply yeah I'm only looking to make around 550 horsepower I'm not trying to eclipse over 600 foot pounds of torque. I just recently brought a transmission from Goodfellas in Florida and is only rated at 550 horses to only 600 foot pounds of torque. I don't want to take that chance so destroying my new transmission.this will be going in my 91 Trans Am GTA.spending thousands of dollars on a stroker motor is definitely not my strong suit I may been able to put together three grand but that's definitely the most.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:27 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by kad5118
thanks for the reply yeah I'm only looking to make around 550 horsepower I'm not trying to eclipse over 600 foot pounds of torque. I just recently brought a transmission from Goodfellas in Florida and is only rated at 550 horses to only 600 foot pounds of torque. I don't want to take that chance so destroying my new transmission.this will be going in my 91 Trans Am GTA.spending thousands of dollars on a stroker motor is definitely not my strong suit I may been able to put together three grand but that's definitely the most.
You probably want to go with a turbo then. Naturally aspirated combos just don't have the same power per dollar as a forced induction setup.

You could follow some of the 5.3/4.8L turbo builds on here and probably find some deals in the Classifieds sections. There's a lot of information and tips from the Sloppy Mechanics site as well.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KCS
You probably want to go with a turbo then. Naturally aspirated combos just don't have the same power per dollar as a forced induction setup.

You could follow some of the 5.3/4.8L turbo builds on here and probably find some deals in the Classifieds sections. There's a lot of information and tips from the Sloppy Mechanics site as well.
I currently have a holset hc1 turbo.but i dont know if the turbo is either too big or too small for my application

Quick Reply: which direction would be cheaper for my 4.8