Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard driving and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard driving and oil consumption

I have a 02 WS6 with about 40,000 miles with the mods in sig. I have never had a problem with oil consumption till this weekend. Now this weekend I drove the **** out of my car. Pretty hard driving on the highway and up and down broadway when i got to where I was going. When I was leaving to go back to my city on Sunday my low oil light came on after getting gas.

I pulled over and checked the level and there was barely oil on the dipstick. I went and put in 3 quarts to be safe and everything was cool.

Tonight I raced a E55 and noticed on the video I was smoking pretty good. Is there a connection between hard driving and oil consumption?

Good idea to check the TB blade for oil coating and if there is go ahead and do a catch can of some sort?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeeeezus.....you added 3 QUARTS when it was still on the dipstick?!?!? You're probably overfull by 2 quarts now. Better drain some out.

Check the intake for oil.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If he was overfull by 2 quarts he would know because he probablly would have blown a head gasket or something.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
Jeeeezus.....you added 3 QUARTS when it was still on the dipstick?!?!? You're probably overfull by 2 quarts now. Better drain some out.

Check the intake for oil.
Common rule of thumb is if it's low enough for the light to come on then you are about 3 quarts low. As it sits right now I'm about a quart over so I'm just going to do an oil change tonight
Old 07-26-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Lots of people run one qt over...
It is no big deal.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

I think he would still like to know if there is some connection between hard driving and oil consumption. I would have to say though...I can guarantee there is a connection between driving with low oil and increasing oil consumption.

If I looked and i was 3 quarts low I would probably crap my pants. But as long as I don't do it on the track so they have to shut it down for clean-up I'll be ok.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Another_User
I think he would still like to know if there is some connection between hard driving and oil consumption. I would have to say though...I can guarantee there is a connection between driving with low oil and increasing oil consumption.

If I looked and i was 3 quarts low I would probably crap my pants. But as long as I don't do it on the track so they have to shut it down for clean-up I'll be ok.
Yea it didn't make me feel too good. Two quarts low isn't totally out of the norm I guess. I may have had a small oil consumption problem before and just never really noticed because it was never bad enough to set the light off.

Although the race later that night when I saw it on video and I was smoking it looked like I didn't like too much. But I'm not sure as to what color the smoke was.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also I've done some searching on here about people that smoke at WOT and it seems to be fairly common. But my real first step is to see what color it is
Old 07-27-2004, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Had time tonight to pull the lid and stuff off. Sure enough the back of the TB blade had a coating of oil and the intake had slight oil coating. I'm considering the LS6 PCV conversion and a AMW catch can. My buddy also thinks the quart over might have contributed to the smoking during that race.