Sponsored by:

Roller lifter installion

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Roller lifter installion

Hi Guys,
This is a question on roller lifters. I have S10 with a 2003 5.3 in it. I am replacing the camshaft and plan to use the original lifters, I carefully checked them and they look great., I would buy new ones but I don't trust the crap out there made in China and passed off as US made, and the OEM prices are stupid high. I removed the original lifters and didn't note the drain hole locations. Every article I read says to point the lifters with the oil drain holes facing rear and others say front, who knows, this may be true if you have Delphi lifters, but mine are Eaton lifters and the holes are on the sides. Can someone tell me if it really matters which way the lifter drains are facing? Thank you. Have a good day.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 970 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by WebKruzer
Hi Guys,
This is a question on roller lifters. I have S10 with a 2003 5.3 in it. I am replacing the camshaft and plan to use the original lifters, I carefully checked them and they look great., I would buy new ones but I don't trust the crap out there made in China and passed off as US made, and the OEM prices are stupid high. I removed the original lifters and didn't note the drain hole locations. Every article I read says to point the lifters with the oil drain holes facing rear and others say front, who knows, this may be true if you have Delphi lifters, but mine are Eaton lifters and the holes are on the sides. Can someone tell me if it really matters which way the lifter drains are facing? Thank you. Have a good day.
It doesnt matter on most any LS block. I believe it does matter on the C5R block, but not on the rest. Its been awhile, so I'm not 100% certain. May be lifter brand specific, but the lifter bores have an oil groove machined into them to supply oil 360° around the lifter. Most lifter bodies are also smaller in the middle (relieved) to help with oil distribution. I'm 100% certain someone will chime in and say I'm full of.......
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 629 Likes on 435 Posts

I'm 100% certain someone will chime in and say I'm full of.......
Nope, pretty sure you're right. Doesn't matter in the slightest which way they go.

Of course, any/all of us could be full of....... at any given moment, but just not this one.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 970 Likes on 691 Posts

Just asked the wife-She said I'm not......Today! I'll check again tomorrow!! YMMV!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
G Atsma (10-20-2023), MySons68C20 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you "grinder11"
Since the rollers may not turn easily with assy. lube and may not turn and flat spot the cam or lifter should I just use regular #30 oil for break in of the new cam on old lifters but prime the engine until oil comes out of the push rods. I read that the factory just primes the engine with the factory oil and fire it up. That seams to work for them. Am I over thinking all this?
Old 10-20-2023, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the help RBO4Av. Should I just put in new OEM lifters and just use regular motor oil for breakin?
Old 10-20-2023, 07:48 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,468 Likes on 2,139 Posts

If your starting the engine in a short amount of time, regular oil is fine. If it’s going to sit a while, use assembly lube. No worries on the assembly lube being on the lobes. The lifter wheels will wipe everything off before you get all the rockers tight.

Quick Reply: Roller lifter installion