Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top end or bottom end knock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Top end or bottom end knock?

Trying to figure out if this tapping/knocking noise is valvetrain or rotating assembly. Sorry about the video. I know it sucks and you have to turn the volume way up. I had to put the phone down by the floor board to pick it up without getting drowned out. Its much louder in person, and especially when warm, outside the truck. In this video its a cold start (75* ambient) and I was just moving it around the yard.

You can really hear it from about 0:50 to 1:00 in. Its most noticeable 1500-1800 rpms, which is were it was in the video from 0:50 on.

Last edited by Zac28; 03-07-2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 573 Likes on 455 Posts

I don't even hear anything of note, other than a slight lifter tick. Doesn't sound bad at all. Maybe the video didn't really capture the sound?
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I think the "lifter tick" you heard is the noise. In person its pretty loud. It sounds very much like a diesel "clacking". Its just hard for my phone to pick it up evidently. Here is another video that will hopefully make it a little easier to hear. But I think by you saying lifter tick it answers my question. I think its in the valvetrain, but my brother thinks in the bottom end. He thinks that because it is more noticeable under truck, but I think that's just because of the exhaust. I was just reaching out to get others opinions to get a better idea.

​​​​​​
Old 03-08-2024, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 573 Likes on 455 Posts

I recommend this a lot, because it absolutely works - Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a cheap mechanic's stethoscope, and listen around the engine. It won't take long to determine where the sound is coming from. I still don't think it's in the bottom end, the sound would be more frequent, and much deeper. Your cam turns at half speed, you know? If you get under the truck and stick the end of the stethoscope on the oil pan rail, you'll know right away if you have a bottom end knock.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I recommend this a lot, because it absolutely works - Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a cheap mechanic's stethoscope, and listen around the engine. It won't take long to determine where the sound is coming from. I still don't think it's in the bottom end, the sound would be more frequent, and much deeper. Your cam turns at half speed, you know? If you get under the truck and stick the end of the stethoscope on the oil pan rail, you'll know right away if you have a bottom end knock.
Yeah, I have A stethoscope. The frequency is what I was getting at when I asked top or bottom end. I should have more specific in my question.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I can barely hear it but it sounds like a stickey lifter. I'd run some transmission fluid or seafoam through the crankcase for a day. I've gotten a lot of trade ins over the years with the same noise, usually a lot louder. I've saved some bad sounding trucks using this method that were destined to the junk yard but ended up on the front line instead

Quick Reply: Top end or bottom end knock?