Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about pinpointing source of oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Question about pinpointing source of oil consumption

My LS1 generally consumes 1/2 qt of oil every 1000 miles and has done this for years, increasing to this rate after the first cam swap. Recently I changed heads, cam, LS6 intake, TB, LS6 PCV system, and added the AWM catchcan and a 90degree, vertical PCV valve. The catchcan has probably caught an ounce of fluid in 500 miles. I had to take the intake off due to a leak and noticed the intake ports of the heads are all covered in oil like before. Back of the TB is pretty clean. The intake itself isn't too bad, but then its only been 500 miles.

So the question: If you see fresh oil coating the intake ports of your heads is that an absolute indicator of oil coming through the PCV system or can oil getting past the rings make it up there past the intake valves in some kind of reversion event, sucking oil on the power stroke and spewing it out during overlap?

Also I've seen all the threads about catch cans, inline filters, PCV mounting, breathers and such and I'm wondering if anybody has thought of or used some kind of vacuum control device which limits the amount of sucking going on through the PCV system. I know that's the intent of the PCV valve itself, but its kind of like holding up your hand to stop the wind.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like valveseals,If you were getting oil past the rings it would smoke and foul your plugs.Even if it was rings I don't think it would put oil in the intake,possibly could be your pcv system since oil is in intake,maybe some one else knows?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I doubt its the valveseals since these are brand new PP stage II heads and it did the same with the stock heads. Some LS1s are known to burn oil through ring flutter at high rpm and low load. The design was corrected a few years later by modifying the ringlands.

All my plugs from the stock heads were powdery white from the oil burning but it doesnt smoke. I think its just the suckin PCV system like you say.