Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak Questions

OK, this is the problem. My car eats oil, VERY BADLY. I know LS1's eat oil, and im getting a catch can to remedy that problem, but i have leaks. There are huge wetspots on the front of my motor. I think I need a oil pan gasket, because it looks like its leaking there. And just above that there is a huge leak! What gasket is that? The front main seal? It looks like its coming from the oilpump/cam area. Is that what that is? Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the front seal to me if it's leaking from around the oil pump area...
Old 08-12-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much would that cost to fix that? could I do it myself?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah you can do it yourself... I know there's a tool you can use to swap out the front main seal without having to pull the water pump and timing cover off, but I can't remember what it's called. With that tool, you'd just have to remove the pulley.

If you have to change it without the tool, you'll have to remove the pulley, water pump, and timing cover... then use a screwdriver to pry the front seal off of the timing cover, pop a new one in, then reassemble.

Either way, make sure to get a new crank bolt because you can't reuse the one on your car.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Yeah you can do it yourself... I know there's a tool you can use to swap out the front main seal without having to pull the water pump and timing cover off, but I can't remember what it's called. With that tool, you'd just have to remove the pulley.

You can't remove the all the timing cover bolts unless you remove the waterpump. There's no way you can change the timing cover seal without removing the water pump to remove those 2-3 remaining timing cover bolts.

Now, if you're referring to the crank seal then yes, just remove the pulley, use a seal puller to remove the old seal, seal driver to install new seal, install pulley.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should I just wait till I can do a cam install? When I do that I can change the oil pump, the pulley, cam and all that while im in there?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
Should I just wait till I can do a cam install? When I do that I can change the oil pump, the pulley, cam and all that while im in there?
Yes, sir.