Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil problem?

do any of you have a "problem" with your maros in eating up oil?

i just went about a couple months ago, and i juss get the light "Low Oil". i check the stick and its all the way down below the little twist of the stick. i know oil is supposed to be changed a good few times a year, but i dont think its suposed to eat up oil like this. it has happend one time b4 and then i juss thoguth it was evaporating or sumtin bc i hadnt changed it ina while. so if any of you could help me with this little predicament it would be greatly appreciated

fyi: i use synthetic, and DO NOT LEAK at all, no spots no nothing under my parking spot ever,

k thx bye
Old 08-23-2004, 04:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Use search button under advanced. Great tool I swear it!!!

1 Qrt/1000 miles is GM standard on stock motors.
Two options:
1- Catch can
2- LS6 PCV mod.
These will not reduce consumption but will prevent most of it to return into the intake.

Consumption can increase as rings go bad (Too many miles), also from V-seal blow by.
Leakdown check to find out.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Welcome to the Association of Oil Eating Camaros (AOEC). Membership is free, but the exit fees can be costly.

A couple more things to try, in addition to Predator-Z's comments.

1) When was the last time you changed out your PCV valve? My consumption went down considerably when I changed mine out. It's about $3.00 for the part and two minutes of work to find out.
2) What type of oil are you using? On my car I have higher consumption with Royal Purple 10W-30. I stress my car because 20 people will post now saying "BS! I've run Royal Purple 10W-30 for 8 million hojillion miles and never had a problem! Royal Purple rules!!!" So, yeah. Good for them. I ran Mobil1 0W-40 for about 5000 miles and only burned about a quart.

-Mike
Old 08-23-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Welcome to the Association of Oil Eating Camaros (AOEC). Membership is free, but the exit fees can be costly.

A couple more things to try, in addition to Predator-Z's comments.

1) When was the last time you changed out your PCV valve? My consumption went down considerably when I changed mine out. It's about $3.00 for the part and two minutes of work to find out.
2) What type of oil are you using? On my car I have higher consumption with Royal Purple 10W-30. I stress my car because 20 people will post now saying "BS! I've run Royal Purple 10W-30 for 8 million hojillion miles and never had a problem! Royal Purple rules!!!" So, yeah. Good for them. I ran Mobil1 0W-40 for about 5000 miles and only burned about a quart.

-Mike
And I would say that if you would have went with the Royal Purple 10w40 then you would have reduced the oil consumption as much as switching to the Mobil 0w40.

The consumption rate wend down because you are using a heaver viscosity oil.

And the fact that alot of the 2000 year engines used oil is not helping.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

aswesum guys thats great news for me, where would i get a PCV valve?

i use synth 10W40, forgot brand, never changed the PCV

thx
Old 08-24-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

PCV valves are available at any auto parts store (Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.). They're usually near the oil, air, and fuel filters.

-Mike
Old 08-25-2004, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

gracias!