Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM to replace Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jub jub
I'm thinking of a 427 for my vette and looking around for a good shop to do the work!
I see you are from Ga. There is an older guy up here near Louisville, Ky that had a guy in Atlanta do his 427. Damn, I can't remember the name but I know all he builds is LS1's and it cost this guy $12k complete. It was dynoed at 710 rwhp through an A4 off the shot. Plus he has a wild N2O setup on it but hasn't gotten to work on the track yet. He has some kind of wiring mess that he's trying to figure out. Our track is open tonite an if he is there I will get the name off the valve cover. I feel stupid beacause I talk to this guy every week trying to help him figure out his juice problem.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get back on track , I thought piston slap would be louder then a light ticking noise like a lifter it sounds kind of slow compared to how fast a piston wouuld move but does increase with RPM. Sometimes after driving and parking about an hour start it up it sounds like a bunch of lifters for about 30 seconds then it's gone.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for everyones input but I thought what the heck. I'll make them fix it until its right. I took it in and had the operating procedure performed, so far only problem I had was an O2 that had gone bad and made the motor studder. they replaced that so far no clicking or any other type of weird noise. But time will tell if it's not right :-(
Old 10-09-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike at Boost Performance.co.uk
Nice pic. So the updated piston seems to have some teflon added to the skirt. That ought to take up some slack as well as freeing up a few more horses. As for the rings, well you need to keep the old rings as they are already bedded in.
Actually this is not quite true, it was found that forged, correctly clearanced motors made less horsepower with the same mods than a "stock" motor and that result was attributed to that the stock clearances are actually a better power producing method.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by taqwache
i am a tech at a GM dealer and i have done several of these piston replacements under warrenty myself. it is true that GM does not alow us to replace the rings since they put there own pattern in to the cylinder bore that they are in. if we did replace the rings, the motor will have to be honed but like i said, they will not alow this for cost reasons. the new pistons come with a better coated skirt desing to keep the noise down but being your car is a 02 it should already have this better piston in it. i am suprised that they did not tell you that it is normal. hear is a pic of both pistons together. the one on the left is the updated one and the one on the right is the older desing.
I don't suppose you give people an optional re-ring and hone if they wanted it? It could be a little profitable for the dealership, and give people an inexpensive alternative since the break down and installation is already paid for.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Teching In

IT"S Back. the ticking noise is starting to re appear again. It's quieter then before and doesn't last as long but I hear it coming back. Anyone had piston replacement and have the noise return ????
Old 10-26-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default slap

I have a 2000 C5, ls1. I was burning a quart of oil under every 1000-1500 miles.I only put 3000 miles on the car a year and didnt really notice the oil consumption, but did have a noticable pistion slap. I brought it to the dealer twice with the piston slap, and they said it was in the normal range, and is normal sounding. The third time I brought the car back with 12000 miles on it and complant about oil consumption, without an burn test they said they would replace the rings even after the warranty expired. i asked the tech who I trusted 1000% and he said the oil problem would be fixed with the new rings, but didnt think it would do anything for the piston slap. This one GM tech only works on corvette and to tell you the truth when I went to the shop and saw my motor apart, I was scared, but everyone reassured me. I asked the shp manager if they would do all my bolt ons while the motor was apart and they said they would for $700.00. They put on my Vararam, high flow ducted, 175 thermostat, ls6 manifold, kooks LT header, high flow cats, X-pipe and GHL exhaust. I only have 1600 miles since the rering, and not a drop of oil his burning. Since the headers and GHLs, I really cant hear the piston slip. I think the headers and an exhaust is the best fix for piston slap!!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I brought my car in for Due to ecessive ticking sounds, the dealer said it was due to piston slap,the funny thing is is that when I put in a new cam I accidenty dropped a lifter and had to pull the heads. I put comp R lifters in place of the stock ones and when I put my engine back together I didn't have any more problems with ticking noises any more, after the cam install if I had my windows up I could hear a sewing machine like sound from my valve train but no more diesel sound the like before.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 10-26-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Teching In

How Do You Get Gm To Agree To Fix The "piston Slap". My Dearlership Says It Is Normal And Will Not Repair It. Help, My Warranty Expires In 3 Weeks. I Called Cust. Service Rep. And They Agree With Dealership. Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get Them Fixed?
Old 11-06-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anitajeff
How Do You Get Gm To Agree To Fix The "piston Slap". My Dearlership Says It Is Normal And Will Not Repair It. Help, My Warranty Expires In 3 Weeks. I Called Cust. Service Rep. And They Agree With Dealership. Can Anyone Tell Me How To Get Them Fixed?
ProPeR cAp1tAliZatiON aNd SpElliNg MIghT NoT bE a BAd iDEa@!!!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tell the service manager you want to have an appt with the dealer service rep. If he will not comply, keep giving G.M. hell. Dont let them blow you off.
I have an '02 Formula and my noise started about 13k. Now at 16k it is very loud. To me it sounds like a bottom end knock, but it goes away after the car is at full operating temp. I am going to take the mods off and take it in. I am hoping for a new motor, but I doubt it will happen. I was thinking it was the because of the turbo, but I dont know what that could do that would go away when warm. I would love it if I could bring in my own pistons and rods and rod bolts. Guess I am dreaming
Old 11-07-2004, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Send them a polite letter TODAY explaining the problem. Also include a notarized statement regarding current mileage. That way, no matter how much they drag their feet, you are covered.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

I took my car in for some last minute warranty work and one of the the items I had them check was the ticking and the piston slap. I knew about these issues prior to taking it in, I just wanted to see what they would say as I was prepared to live with it. I got a call today, they want to replace my pistons, no questions asked. They told me one of the tests they had performed was to disable cylinder number 1 and if the noise goes away, they replace the pistons.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LBCSS
I brought my car in for Due to ecessive ticking sounds, the dealer said it was due to piston slap,the funny thing is is that when I put in a new cam I accidenty dropped a lifter and had to pull the heads. I put comp R lifters in place of the stock ones and when I put my engine back together I didn't have any more problems with ticking noises any more, after the cam install if I had my windows up I could hear a sewing machine like sound from my valve train but no more diesel sound the like before.
I had a 98 S-10 that had excessive lifter noise. GM probably uses crap lifters.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
ProPeR cAp1tAliZatiON aNd SpElliNg MIghT NoT bE a BAd iDEa@!!!!!

HEY NOW, I CAN AGREE WITH THE PROPER CAPITALIZATION, BUT NOT SPELLING AS I CANNOT FIND AN INCORRECT SPELLED WORD.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Banned

wanna talk about unhappy......our 99 ta with 50 thous on the clock....stopped running...bad fuel pump ..bad fuell rail(rusted badly inside) all 8 unjectors bad.....2700 dollar bill at the dealer to fix it........NOW to the BAD part....we pick up the car...get it home.....and realize the right headlamp cover is SMASHED into the body!!!! looked like someone closed the hood hard with something laying on the headlamp ...hood smashed into it forcing the lamp cover in over 1/2 inch.........they deny doing it........car was just REPAINTed and was a bitch to match the frt with the back of the car......so they offer to fix it........i tell um to shove their fix up their azzes.....took it to a small shop...they managed to get most of the bends and dings out without painting it.........nice huh........then a few days later wife goes into the ashtray to turn the power antena on(we have a switch save it from constant up and down) the ashtray lid is completely broken off!!!just laying there......nice again huh??? OUTTEN CHEV in Allentown PA........******!

nomo GM dealers ...i'm looking for a good small guy shop to do all my work...dealers are the absolute worst place to take a car

mine has terrible engine noise also....but i'm living with it........because i know from past experiance 1 trip to a GM dealer leads to at 3 more!!!

onemo thang....i wouldnt go bk to Outten chev if pamala anderson was giving 10 free BJ's with every visit!!!

Last edited by 99PontTA; 11-19-2004 at 03:01 PM.