Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Witch piston rings.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004 | 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Witch piston rings.

I am ordering parts in a week or so and i dont know witch rings to get. I was going to get the ones from thunder that go with the diamond piston. But i was riding around with my buddy and he was talking about gapless rings. Does any one know any thing about them like are they good for boost or NOS or what. Also now sure if they are the same rings but same question about plazma Molly rings.
Old 09-05-2004 | 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

You may pick up couple of HP with gapless rings though I'm not sure what would be the most sensible application for these.. I'd remember some people having bad experience with Total Seal and oil consumption while Childs&Albert has worked better.
Most performance file fit sets have plasma moly top ring. You need to get proper hone for it.
Old 09-05-2004 | 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well from some materials i've read, gapless means less blowby, a few more ponies, but as usual there is a price to pay and in this case it is increased cranckase pressure which can be an issue with the awsome PCV systems in the LS1.
Now proper ventilation is needed and that subject was touched on in "cranckase ventilation pump" theories and applications.

Apparently it has less of a negative effect on lower rpm cams.