Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting about that time...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting about that time...

I'm getting a cam, 230/232 to be specific, and I have a question. My engine has 53,000 miles on it and I know I might as well go ahead and pay for new sparks plugs and wires, but how long can I hold off not having a new timing chain. I'll be shifting at 6700, and I found through search, thanks jrp, that the stock one can't handle too much of that. It would be a month, maybe two after the cam before I could get it. My car is in excellent condition, and female owned before me. It hasn't be romped on other than me. Thanks, appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mnc2886
I'm getting a cam, 230/232 to be specific, and I have a question. My engine has 53,000 miles on it and I know I might as well go ahead and pay for new sparks plugs and wires, but how long can I hold off not having a new timing chain. I'll be shifting at 6700, and I found through search, thanks jrp, that the stock one can't handle too much of that. It would be a month, maybe two after the cam before I could get it. My car is in excellent condition, and female owned before me. It hasn't be romped on other than me. Thanks, appreciate it.
I would personally just install the timing chain at the same time, because the stock one will break after a while, even if your car had about 10,000 miles on it. I would not want it to break while driving, leaving you stranded and possibly more damage than you would want.

I would not really bring the engine up that high untill you get a new chain if you are not going to do them at the same time.

Just my .02.

-Todd