Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to try a set of AFR's anyway. If AFR would like to do a real world comparison using my car and pitting AFR's heads against PP's I'm game...
As long as they leave the AFR's on there.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Edit: I got a little more info on my heads, that gives me some peice of mind. Patriot did the CNC work, but the finish work and assembly was not part of Patriot.

Last edited by CamaroCain; 09-19-2004 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Who built the motor? Did they check P/V clearance? Did you get a look at the parts after the motor was Grenaded? Or are you taking the builders word for it?

I am not tryin to flame you man. I am just concerned that you are just posting up what you have heard was the problem instead of actually seeing it for yourself.

Valve guide damadge can and would have easily been caused by a bent valve.
Were all the guides damadged? Or just the intakes ,or just the exhausts?
A bent valve would have been caused by the piston hitting the valve. The valve in question finally took all it could and broke (or the piston).

All I know about this is what you posted up. If I did not know better I would pull the heads off my car and my friends and throw them in the garbage for fear that the same thing would happen to me.

I dont have a flow sheet with my heads because I bought them used.
I did install a set for a good friend of mine and he did not get one either.
A flow sheet would be nice that is for sure!
I can say that these heads have performed very well on my car at the track and feel great on my friends car on the street (no track time as of yet).

I am not defending Patriot Peformance They should be able to do that for themselves (although the negative posts on here from TSP n other sponsors wont help them) I am just stating my opinion as alot of people do on here.

I cannot say anything bad about Patriot Heads. I have a set on my car and installed a set on another and have other friends with good results.

Terry is no longer there so things may have changed.
We shall see.

Brad

Last edited by Chris ARE 385; 09-20-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't purchase PP heads. I did once upon a time and got burned. The valve seals were leaking. Go with something proven.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

JeffWs6, Did you ever get any numbers out of your setup? I'm curious as to how much power I'm looking at losing when I add my 12 bolt. A graph would be awsome also. As to my PP 5.3L heads I cannot say anything bad about them except I didn't get my free head bolts or a flow sheet. Other than that they have performed flawlessly while making good power. Only time will tell.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

Business is great and getting better as the public comes to realize that really good quality heads are available at great prices. We currently have more standing and pending orders than ever before. We believe this is occurring because of one thing....quality.

We realize this is frightening to "old school" companies and new "start up" companies. Some of their methods to disadvantage our company's postion are starting to border on the ridiculous.

So, as a matter of policy, here is the latest information needed to make a purchasing decision. We are constantly in a state of R&D here; ever improving chambers, runners, and whatever else presents itself as need worthy.

We source from wherever quality is found at a fair price.
Raw castings are OEM (Mexico)
23-8N Stainless Steel Valves are Turkish (manufacter of Porsche's valves)
Ti Retainers are Russian (same as Doug Herbert Performance)
Viton Rubber Seals are from Detroit
Patriot Gold Springs are from Associated Spring (made in Brazil, same as OE)
Intake Ports are 238 cfm on our new LS6 style ports

Recently, we had a customer call to inquire about things. He had already taken his heads to a reputable business to have them checked out. This is what we ask our customers to do; trust but verify. The unbiased company reported that after a very stringent test, our heads were the "best buy for the money on the market". This company sells against us everyday in the market place.

We ask potential customers with legitimate questions to give us a call and get absolute honest answers, or drop by for a visit.

Coming soon we will have the LS6 style heads in a "as cast" versions, suitable for the purist to do his own hand porting. As always these heads will be great quality at an inexpensive price.

We are also developing the Patriot Gold version of our heads that will be outfitted wirh titanium valves (maker of Porsche's valves will be supplier), and copper beryllium seats.

We have confidence that our product is as good as any in the market place. So much so, we now include a flow sheet with every set of heads. Don't forget our free 6.0 MLS head gaskets and free head bolts with every head order.

Last edited by GUNNAR@PATRIOT; 09-17-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GUNNAR@PATRIOT
...We currently have more standing and pending orders than ever before. We believe this is occurring because of one thing....quality.
The cheapest price + no core charge doesn't hurt
Old 09-17-2004, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Well Gunnar, tell us what happened with TSP.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

What were the cam specs? Sounds like it wasnt clayed for clearance to me and smacked the piston off the valve from too tight PtoV clearance.

find out the cam specs and post them. Also post how much the heads were milled (If they were milled at all)

Last edited by Chris ARE 385; 09-20-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM
SPG
On The Tree

how long before the titanium valves are available, and will the new guides be part of that or can the valves be retrofitted to existing heads
Old 09-20-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Need2gofaster
I have heard that the Patriot Gold springs were some of the best springs out there.....what do you guys think?
They are. I had them pressure tested and the guy said "Wow, Where did you get these from they are some of the best springs I have seen." He was surprised they were Patriots.

*Great Springs*
Old 09-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

well i can tell you first hand i used to sell PP heads too and i no longer do
the springs are not the trouble in fact the gold spring is a nice piece the valves are cheep pieces o ****
PP will tell you they have had them tested but i know first hand i have pictures to prove it
and the flow test no they do not flow every set that goes out the door and the flow numbers are way off some times
TSP droped the PP heads because they had 3 or 4 sets fail in like a 1 week period of time
so i am no longer selling them and will no longer be useing them
Old 09-20-2004, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000TAguy
well i can tell you first hand i used to sell PP heads too and i no longer do
the springs are not the trouble in fact the gold spring is a nice piece the valves are cheep pieces o ****
PP will tell you they have had them tested but i know first hand i have pictures to prove it
and the flow test no they do not flow every set that goes out the door and the flow numbers are way off some times
TSP droped the PP heads because they had 3 or 4 sets fail in like a 1 week period of time
so i am no longer selling them and will no longer be useing them
Please define "3 or 4 sets fail". If the springs are good, what failed?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Tucker
Please define "3 or 4 sets fail". If the springs are good, what failed?
I think valves, and poor flow #'s
Old 09-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

valves failed flow numbers keepers cracking
valve heads braking off just like in there 4.6 heads
the valves are cheep as **** like 2.00 dollars a piece
Old 09-20-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Ya know, if their heads didn't produce any hp gains that would be one thing. The worst they'd get out of it is a bad reputation. But if parts are breaking causing major engine damage, then PP can be held legally responsible if it can be determined that their part or a part they used was responsible for the damage. Especially if it were to happen in my engine.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlackRamAirT/A
Is it wrong for me to be kind of scared to install my pp stage 3 ls6 heads with 2.08 1.60 valves and race port option? I had no questions about it before but lately there has been a lot of "not so good" talk about their heads. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
If any heads from there were good, it was yours. I believe the valves in those heads were REV's, so they should be ok. Those heads were guaunteed to be good when they came back to me from there. Personally I wouldn't have hesitated to put them on my car, even after reading this. I know one person who could tell you yes or no, and you've talked to him once before. Maybe you should call him again.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

From the guidelines at the top of this forum...

No complaint or negative feedback threads are allowed to be posted by anyone other than the owner of the vehicle or the shop that was involved in the installation and tuning of the parts. If the shop that installed or tuned the parts has negative feedback we require that shop to have made demonstrable effort to contact the original manufacturer of the performance parts to resolve the issue before resorting to posting on our site. No other second or thirdhand complaint threads are allowed. We will lock threads that do not fit within our guidelines, or move them into the Moderator Forum.

Last edited by Chris ARE 385; 09-20-2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Man I got a set of Perimeter bolt PP stage 2 LS1 heads and put them on a week before TSP's post. I am scared as all heck now something is going to happen! I talked to the shop I got them from and Patriot they said my heads where good to go. I should have got it in writing. I guess they have more problems with the LS6 and 5.3s then the LS1's... I don't know if that is jive or what but I can't afford a rebuild this year or next.... I have 28 almost all one right after another....(test and tune night) 1/8 mile runs on the car and it still performs great with 5 50hp shots of Nitrous also. I have about 500 miles on the heads as of so far and no problems yet.

I didn't receive a flow sheet either...ordered mine about a month ago to the date almost. The came straight from Patriot. I had them sitting on the bench for two weeks before may cam came in I wish I would have had them flowed. I may spend the money in about a month here to have them taken off and checked for piece of mind. I am sure it is going to cost mega $$$ since I have no shop to do the work in, but it will be cheaper than a rebuild.

I mean the cost was right and the place I got them from was a VERY good shop with great customer service....that is why I trusted them. I guess if I would have read all this bad press before I put the motor back in my car maybe I would have explored other options. Still what I paid for my heads I saved 1000$+. That is why I went witht he Patroits.

I feel for the guys who had problems and spent all there hard earned $$$ for a rebuild or work done to them. I know it took me 3 years to save for my heads and cam. That is how much I do like the F-body with the LS1.. Patroit should realize this some cars are daily drivers.... Hope they stand behind there product.

Keeping my fingers crossed for now. I will let you know if I find anything out with my heads if I pull them. Maybe Patriot will pay for my labor charge to have a shop flow and inspect them just to prove to the board that the heads are good to go in a month or so.... I would be willing to do that! I will have probably 100 passes on them by then and another 2000 miles on the car.

Hope my info helps.

Last edited by speedo; 09-20-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
If any heads from there were good, it was yours. I believe the valves in those heads were REV's, so they should be ok. Those heads were guaunteed to be good when they came back to me from there. Personally I wouldn't have hesitated to put them on my car, even after reading this. I know one person who could tell you yes or no, and you've talked to him once before. Maybe you should call him again.
Thanks for the reassurance I was just being a little cautious with all the talk lately.