Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam or other mods next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam or other mods next?

Hi everybody (Hi Dr. Nick..... ;D ). I'm contemplating my next mod/mods and am pretty confused as to what to do. Right now I have an SLP cold air induction kit, Holley air filter, SLP lid, descreened stock MAF, smooth bellows (eBay, $20), and an LS6 intake manifold. I also have Hooker longtubes and 2.5" true duals. I want to cam my car by spring of next year, but was wondering if I should finish my bolt-ons first. I was thinking of getting the TSP Torquer cam and new springs, but should I get a ported throttle body and ASP pulley first? Will it make that great of a difference?
Old 09-22-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
Hi everybody (Hi Dr. Nick..... ;D ). I'm contemplating my next mod/mods and am pretty confused as to what to do. Right now I have an SLP cold air induction kit, Holley air filter, SLP lid, descreened stock MAF, smooth bellows (eBay, $20), and an LS6 intake manifold. I also have Hooker longtubes and 2.5" true duals. I want to cam my car by spring of next year, but was wondering if I should finish my bolt-ons first. I was thinking of getting the TSP Torquer cam and new springs, but should I get a ported throttle body and ASP pulley first? Will it make that great of a difference?
I personally don't think it will make that much of a difference. Sure you'll get another 10 hp or so, but it's not gonna choke the car like if you didn't have LT's. I'm putting the torquer in my car and I don't even have the ls6 intake, though I do plan on getting it sometime. To me, the price/hp ratio was much better with the cam and I don't have enough money to do it all at once so I chose to go with the cam first before finishing every bolton.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a high stall torque converter, pronto!
Old 09-22-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, I knew I forgot to put something in my original post. To clarify, I plan on getting the cam, better springs, a transmission cooler and shift kit, and a high stall torque converter. Considering the Torquer's power band starts at 2200 RPM, would a 2800 or 3000 stall torque converter work?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you plan on it being mostly street use? If you do a 3200 stall would prob. be perfect. If you plan on heavy track usage many auto guys go with like a 3600 or even above 4000, but that would feel really loose on the street.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by luv2spd
it's not gonna choke the car like if you didn't have LT's.
he said he alread has Hooker LTs and 2.5" TDs.....

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
I also have Hooker longtubes and 2.5" true duals.

I personally tell everyone to wait on a cam install untill they have the money to do heads also. It makes life so much easier and you get much more performance out of your work. I also tell people to do a new oil pump ($150) and the ASP pulley ($150) at the same time as you already have everything off (makes oil pump a snap) and the stock pulley is a PITA to deal with.

With that said, the head/cam/converter would be the next step if I owned your car. The ported TB (while only $100) isn't going to make near the difference that those other three would (hell..they will cost you $2000-$3000 min so they had better do a good bit ). Start saving and just go all out. If you want to do SOMETHING (just can't stand it...have to mod.... ), then do the converter next. It will set you up for the cam (or heads/cam) swap and till then will help out your 1/4 times.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, notice i said "if" he didn't have the LTs. I knew he already had them i was just stating that not having a ported tb isn't going to affect it like not having lts would.