Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can???????

Has anyone made their own oil catch can and put it in line with the PVC system to cut down on the amount of oil going into the intake? Do they really work and should I bother?
Old 04-05-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Oil Catch Can???????

Do a search on greddy catch cans alot of people have pics of them and they are around 70-80 bucks I think. You could also try the ls6 pvc conversion which is gm's way of solving the oil consumption issue.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is exactly what I did. I went with a LS6 PCV AND a Greddy catch can. After that, my intake was dry as a bone. That's also when I finally realized that my high RPM oil consumption issue was because of the rings!
Old 04-05-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't actually have a big oil consumption issue that I'm trying to fix or even pinging (yet!) I'm trying to be proactive and keep it from becoming an issue as my car ages. I now have 45K on it and don't want to see some of the issues I read about here with the oil and carbon that it produces in the heads and pistons. I will probably do a top end cleaning soon as a pro-active measure and wanted to stop the oil issue at the same time. Will the dealer do the LS6 PCV mod? It looks a little more difficult than I want to try based on this link. I would be willing to pay a couple Ben Franklins to someone that knows what they are doing if there is anyone local?

LS6 PCV Mod

<small>[ April 05, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Honez ]</small>
Old 04-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes a lot of people have made them of various types and designs. Do a search and you should find them. As to whether you should bother to do it, to you have an oil consumption problem? If not why do it? A better solution in my opinion would be to install the LS6 PCV system. The catch can isn't going to reduce oil consumption, just keep it from going through the motor. Another thing to consider is there are two reasons for LS1 oil consumption; it may be going past the piston rings also.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

I ended up going the Campbell Hausfeld in-line filter way and like it better than any custom filter setup I've seen but Cal is right, even though I did put that on I'm still seeing oil consumption which is probably from blow-by.