Sponsored by:

?'s on head bolts ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 03:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s on head bolts ??????

Hey all:

I have a ? on head bolts. I have a ls6 block that I'm rebuilding with the 98 ls1 heads, intake, and accessories. The original 98 ls1 block had a crack in it from some idoit who over tightened a head bolt with oil in it. The head bolts that I have are for the 98 ls1 block.......however when I went to install the heads and heads bolts (I didn't know there was a difference ). The head bolts are to long.....I take it that the ls6 uses its own head bolts (shorter). If this is the case.....does it use the same torque for the heads as per the ls1's? an does anyone have that part #?

Thanks

Tim
Old 10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Default ? on ls6 /ls2 head bolts???

Hey All:

I got some answers to my head bolt issue. On 2003 ls6 and up blocks Gm changed the head bolts length. There is no head bolt kit like there is for the ls1. You have to order the bolts.....each of them. This also applies for the new ls2 blocks too....same as the 03-up ls6 blocks head bolts. The head bolts needed are M8 part# 12558840 (same as ls1's) M11 part# 11519772 (ls6,ls2). This sucks because the price of the head bolts went from $18 for both the M8 and M11 ls1 kit to about $75 for the head bolts per side. Gm at the moment doesn't offer a kit so you have to order the bolts you need for head installation.

I still got a ? about the torqueing of the heads.....does the ls6/ls2 use the same torque specs as the ls1 or did this changed too? I could get an answer on this as of yet..

Hope this is some usefull info........

Later

Tim
Old 10-14-2004, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

That's good information to know; especially if people like me who own older blocks and might swap to a newer block. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Does anyone know if the torque procedure changed for the ls6 03 and up blocks for torqueing the heads.....or for the ls2? They should be the same since they use the same heads bolts (shorter then the standard ls1 head bolts). I have mitch on demand at work and they did not have the torque specs listed or shown.....only for the Ls1's...

Any help on this matter is appreciated!!!!!

Later

Tim