Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Slap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston Slap?

Hey guys, my 01 WS6 Trans Am has had an internal engine noise since the day I picked it up from the dealer with 152 miles on it. It sounds like a piston slap type noise to me. It does it all the time. You only notice it mostly at idle and lower RPM's. It can be cold or warm-doesn't matter-still does it. It's very noticable when putting around and in a closed garage area it sort of echoes. I was at SLP day last year in Ohio and listened to other LS1 cars for the noise. I'd say about 40 percent of the cars I heard had some form of the noise-some more drastic than others. Mine seems quite drastic. I was wondering if anyone else out there has this noise and finds it annoying. And if it is infact piston slap due to forged pistons.

P.S. My car has over 11,000 miles on it now and noise still seems same as when new. No running problems noticed.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Piston Slap?

2001 ws6 frist motor had it bad it was replaced at 8000 miles.
new motor now has 3000 miles and it's worse than the frist one was.
took it to the same dealer that replaced it and all of a sudden thay say it's normal. i asked them to note that i was not happy about this and also told them i'll be back when it get worse.
i also asked the service writer seeing this is so normal why didnt we hear it when i picked up the car after the motor was replaced. his eye, got all wide and didnt have an answer. then he said go open it it up and see what happens, i then reply I'LL BE BACK.