Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degreeing a cam.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Degreeing a cam.

Is it really necessary degreeing a cam? Whats the purpose(s) of doing this? How is this done? If a cam has been verified that there is no need to check piston to valve clearance on stock heads, is there any reason to check if you have completely stock heads? I didnt do this with my C2 cam, I just lined up the 2 dots and was done with it. I figured a cam with lots of lift and minimal clearance needed to be degreed.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:54 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you have an adjustible timing set, degreeing isnt going to do anything for you except tell you if the cam was ground properly. If you received your cam from a place like thunder racing, they've already checked the cam on a cam doctor to verify the cam was ground properly. Other places, its up to you. If you do have an adjustible set, then its really just up to you if you want to make sure its dead spot on to where it should be. Ive never bothered myself.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would highly recommend degreeing your cam even if you have the stock timing set, I will tell you why. When my engine builder and I were putting my new shortblock together I had a new stock timing chain on it. When we put the big Pro-degree wheel on it with the stock timing set the cam was retarded a degree. We loosened the stock timing set bolts just a hair and turned the cam sprocket and re-tightened it and it was dead-on after that.

Most people wouldn't even care, but if you going to do something you minus well do it right.

Cheers.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

So if I have a non-adjustable timing chain/set, then the only thing that degreeing will do is tell me if the cam was ground properly? If it wasnt and I didnt have an adjustable chain/set, then Id be screwed? If certain companies cam doctor all cams before selling/sending them out, then theres no reason to degree a cam?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
If certain companies cam doctor all cams before selling/sending them out, then theres no reason to degree a cam?
No, there will be some retard in the slack of the timing chain. There could be advance or retard ground into the crank timing sprocket and the same in the camshaft sprocket. As shown in the above example, it doesn't take much to move the cam a degree.

With that said, for wide powerband cams (street grinds) a degree doesn't make that much of a difference. It becomes more critical for someone who is camming for a particular shorter powerband (race grind). For typical street grinds, off-the-shelf cams usually come with a couple of degrees advance to address the possible retard from chain slack. For street grinds, it is usually better to err with more advance than retard since lowend power is needed for driveability. That's my 2 cents
Old 10-30-2004, 10:22 AM
9 Second Club NA

Well I plan to install the T-Rex and a new chain. Not sure if Im going to get a single or double one. All new valvetrain will be going in as well. What else will affect the degreeing of the cam? I mean is degreeing a cam a big deal, is it a long process? Ive never done it that is why I ask. Thanks.