Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to follow everyone's advice

Old 11-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to follow everyone's advice

Everywhere I look, I see people saying to plan out your motor before you dive in and order a bunch of crap. I did a search on this, but I would like some more specific information.

I want to have a streetable car first and foremost. It will be a race car in it's spare time. Right off the start, I plan on getting full exhaust (with cats) lid, bellow, filter, wheels, Eibachs and Konis. Soon after I want to get a dry nitrous kit to get me into the mix faster. But eventually I want to have n/a HP.

Eventually I want to make a H/C combo, but Im trying to decide if im going to need to build a new motor or if I can keep the original block and just put H/C on it. Since this is going to be a street car, I want to still get decent milage. I know all of the stories of guys with 427 strokers making 20+mpg, but thats only if they stay out of it. What type of HP number can I shoot for and still have a nice, smooth, drivable car? and what will I need to get there?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your talking in relative terms. one person might give you a recipe for a low 10 second daily driver while another will give you info on something more mild. both guys will consider there advice as a "streetable" setup. you'll have to be more specific of what you want. whats the year and tranny?

for a run of the mill setup get the typical bolt ons, a good set of heads and a tr224 114 cam.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Launching!

its a '99. Streetable to me is something with all options to make it more drivable like A/C, PS, etc. Also a car with a nice smooth powerband. There are 9 sec. "streetable" cars, but when they try to tell you its a daily driver, thats BS. I want a daily driver that doesnt take effort to drive and will make decent power. One that idles good and you dont have to worry about turning the AC on and it dying.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

once again what tranny do you have?? and what is your more specififc goal?? 400 is not uncommon out of very tame cars you just need to do your research and spend the money where it is needed.. At the shop i work at we have a saying that is also used alot in other places.. your only as fast as your pockets are deep.. with that in mind.. what is your approximate price range??

the more info you give the better our response's will be
Old 11-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Launching!

****, sorry about that. Its a stock M6. I plan on changing that in the future replacing it with a Viper-spec T56.

Price range? well this isnt happening all at once like i said, i want to have a plan for what this car will be. I dont know what type of budget it will take to get me where I want to be, and honestly I dont know where I want to be because I dont know what LS1's are like at higher power levels. I know I want to stay around factory displacement, maybe a 383 AT MOST, but i'd like to stay with a 346 if possable. What kind of power does that hit the limit at and how is the drivability.

I understand that everyone has a definition of a street car. You can get a SS/O Mustang that runs 4's in the 1/8 and drive it around, but its not a street car. I want to find the balance between drivability, reliability and performance.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are building a "bottlerocket" build for that. Nitrous is a diversion from a good NA set-up. If you do a great street set-up (e.g. remote opener, bottle warmer, etc) you'll pour a lot of money into it. Money that could buy heads (or cover most of the cost). I'd do bolt-ons and a 2 stage kit. Stage 1 can be 75 shot dry. You can use that on the street and not drain the bottle on 2 romps. Stage 2 can be another 125+ shot wet. When you go to the track and have slicks, you switch to a nitrous program for your pcm and run them both.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Well, i dont know if i want another bottle rocket. I made this SN before I got my car. It was my SN i had with my old car on other websites (331 on bottle). I dont know if I would rather have an all motor car or a nitrous car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to follow everyone's advice