Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harlan Sharp preload 2 turn w/o shims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Harlan Sharp preload 2 turn w/o shims?

I thought I had a bent pushrod. so I bought hardened 7.4 pr's, LS6 springs and Harlan Sharp 1.8's because I didn't expect to "cam it" in the near future. I got to zero lash and every one turned exactly 2 turns before it got to 22 ft. I called Skoggin Dickey parts and spoke to a tech there and he said there shoun't be a need to shim it if it is less than 2- even though the instructions say 1 1/2. it has been 4oo miles and she runs great, gains felt above 4,000rpm. I just read a post here about definately needing shims after 1 1/4! Now i am worried if there is too much valve preload and valves not closing completely. Am I wrong with out the shims?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm...this is from Jmx website... this is for Yella-Terra rockers, which I imagine are very similar to HS.
For full write-up see http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?ar...5404a4acd7a09e

"If you get MORE than 1 full 360 degree turn on each bolt, remove the rockers and install the shims on the bottom of the pedestals and repeat this process to check the new preload. The shims seem to reduce the turns by approximately 270 degrees. You must install a shim on BOTH bolts, not just one or the other. If you got LESS than 1 full 360 degree turn then you are ok to leave the shims out!"
Old 11-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Banned

Thanks for the response! I wish I had seen that website beforehand. Working with what is currently done, since there have been no ill effects and the advice of 2 "pros"- I was hoping that the 1 or 1 1/2 turns wasn't the law. After all laws are meant to be broken. The car is a weekend ride, I will check this next weekend by just breaking the rocker bolt loose and seeing if the spring unloads any. That would tell me if there is truth to this shim thing beyond 1.5 turns.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Thanks for the response! I wish I had seen that website beforehand. Working with what is currently done, since there have been no ill effects and the advice of 2 "pros"- I was hoping that the 1 or 1 1/2 turns wasn't the law. After all laws are meant to be broken. The car is a weekend ride, I will check this next weekend by just breaking the rocker bolt loose and seeing if the spring unloads any. That would tell me if there is truth to this shim thing beyond 1.5 turns.
Laws are meant to broken until you break a valve spring and destroy a motor
Old 11-22-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I'm sure everyone will agree that www.ls1howto.com is an ls1 bible. very detailed writeups on cam/head swaps, shocks, etc....
Very nice website.... JmX is DA MAN !
Old 11-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Banned

LS1 HOWTO DOES ROCK!!! I WILL NOW SEE IF THE SPRING UNLOADS WHEN I LOOSEN THE ROCKER, I WANT TO HANGE CAMS NOW. IT WILL REQUIRE NEW SPRINGS, SHIMMING WILL BE DONE AT THAT POINT IF NEEDED. I NEED STOCK IDLE SO I WAS THINKING OF A SIMPLE LS6 CAM. PRICE IS GOOD TOO. THE LIFT WITH THE 1.8'S WIL BE ABOT .580" SO I'LL NEED SPRINGS AND I WILL NEED THE LONGER PR'S.