Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to consider when picking cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to consider when picking cam?

I know you guys are sick of this topic, and yes, I'm searching, and will continue to search. Noob to cams here looking for one. I have Mike from Felber racing porting me some nice heads, don't know specs yet, but what should I consider when looking at cams? I want something that will work well with nitrous, (A little nitrous). Don't care how it sounds. Would like something that would still allow me to pass emissions. Dunno what else to consider. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Talk to Thunder Racing, MTI, Texas Speed and Perfomance....or any other vender here. All of them will be able to help you better then most of us on here. Get your heads flowed and get the numbers. Find out if you are in a emission testing state. Then think about what you are looking for.....everything you do is a trade off.....emissions....mileage....valve train life......were do you want the power.....what gears do you have....this all affects the cam you pick!!!! The venders listed and listed on the side should be able to supply a cam with your needs.....get all the above details answered first and use those answers with the venders and you should be close to getting the right cam for your setup!!!! Picking a cam requires some in depth thinking...the wrong cam will make your car run worse then stock!!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you turbo will do.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Find JRP's sig, and read his cam guide. That should get you started in the right direction. If you're still lost after that, I dunno man. That guide is pretty straightforward.