Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers?????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers?????????

i have a 2002 camaro slp ss. What are the best headers. What are the headers making the most horsepower. I want slp longtues but still deciding
Old 12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

It's gonna be real hard to give the "best" headers a name. Everyone's got their preferences and for the most part, they perform basically the same. Any longtube is the way to go, IMO. Anything less is just wasting time, to me. I have a set of the header once known as Grotyohann (now sold by QTP) and they are great tubes. Excellent for low-end torque and made good gains up top, too. More expensive doesn't always mean best, but I would not skimp here. A good set of LT's will last a long time and do you right. Are you running F/I? I assume that by your handle.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure.... But if you search the External Engine forum, there are many discussions about this. I, personally have the SLP LT's with the off road Y-pipe, and picked up quite a bit of horsepower with them.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by felton316
Not sure.... But if you search the External Engine forum, there are many discussions about this. I, personally have the SLP LT's with the off road Y-pipe, and picked up quite a bit of horsepower with them.

I've got a set of Kooks 1 3/4 I am cleaning up in my garage that I'll be installing in the next month or so hopefully. Great set of headers If you're lookin for headers that will last forever, SS is the way to go. Kooks/QTP all the way IMHO.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Ok if you want the dyno graph i have it. I have a 2001 trans am ws6 6 speed and with only SLP lid,Y-pipe, bellow, HPP3 programmer, holley air filter, 160thermo, i dynoed at 344hp and 352tq at wheels. I went out after months of research and bought KOOKS STAINLESS STEEL HEADERS. GET STAINLESS STEEL NO MATTER WHAT YOU GO WITH, it looks ten times better and it never cracks, peels or really turns colors.
I went with the Kooks 1 3/4 headers (LT's) and Y-pipe so that everything would match up and kept my rear muffler and piping. Not even 100 miles later we hit the dyno w/o tuning and i gained 12hp and 23tq to the wheels which raised me to 356HP and 375TQ; no major mods. That is on a CATLESS setup. The exhaust has almost no popping and exhaust sounds great. I have a digital recording of my dyno and i would be glad to burn it to a CD and ship to anyone (the file is ~180mb)

Also the kooks headers and y-pipe set up actually gained me about half an inch on ground clearance over the SLP Y-pipe (versus stock set up also)

if you would like before and after dyno graphs let me know; because the headers did make a huge difference on my power curve (a good improvement) and the car is awesome now.