Sponsored by:

Oil PSI Specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil PSI Specs

LS1 Tech experts-- Complex tech issue

Just finished a H/C upgrade with SDPC Rollmaster Double Rollmaster Timing Chain with Torrington Bearing. Used the Blue O ring, new front cover gasket, correctly intalled the Rollmaster shims on a new the Katech Ported Oil Pump and elongated the mounting hole on the pickup tube bracket which bolts to the main to maintain correct alignment. O ring is not pinched.

Hooked up a 3 qt. Accusump which plumbs into the block and oil return line for a remote oil filter.

On start up car runs great, however oil psi at hot idle is only 15psi. Calls to Katech and SDPC indicate this is within spec.

Disconnected the Accusump and the oil pressure is the same at idle 15psi or so.

Oil pressure builds with RPM's and doesnot drop off. Car runs great.

Some thoughts:

Oil capacity in the stock LS6 is 6.5 qts. I have a Ron Davis Radiator with integral oil cooler and remote oil filter (AC DELCO PF10) with AN10 lines. This adds another 1.5 qts which brings my oil capacity to 8 qts. I add 1 qt. for track events equaling 9qts. Add the Accusump and I am now at 12 qts.

Prior to the Accusump my oil psi was about 22 hot at idle the inegral oil cooler.

Is it possible the extra volume of oil with the same type of oil pump is resulting in the 15psi oil pressure at idle.

Chevorlet claims this is within spec and not an issue.

your thoughts?