Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird stuff inside Oil Cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My motor has been doing that sense my headers and cam got installed. But like you said I haven't seen water in the oil so I try not to think about it too much. It ends up in my catch can, oil lid, and TB with foamy light coffie colored slimy gunk. I might do a leakdown test so I can really put it out of mind. I'll let you know how mine goes later this week.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Man thats weird because everyone here says they all do it and I have never seen iy and neither has any of my friends. As a matter if fact when I discovered mine I was at a sponsers shop getting my car tuned and he checked the oil and saw that and immeadiately without thinking said, youve got a problem. He didnt say, Oh they all do that or yeah its common, he inneadiately looked at me told me I needed to have my engine looked at.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Well if there is water in the oil, yes you have a problem, but my coolant is fine and I do make very very short trips in cold weather with out proper heat up with a my car So thats where my sludge problem is coming from.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Man thats weird because everyone here says they all do it and I have never seen iy and neither has any of my friends. As a matter if fact when I discovered mine I was at a sponsers shop getting my car tuned and he checked the oil and saw that and immeadiately without thinking said, youve got a problem. He didnt say, Oh they all do that or yeah its common, he inneadiately looked at me told me I needed to have my engine looked at.

so i would like to know, if u had a hole in your piston how was coolant or water getting to the crankcase, all i can see is fuel getting in there and high crankcase pressures. u had to have a blown headgasket or something else otherwise that guy found that problem by chance. were u throwing any codes? p0307? or p0300. i have to say the computer would notice that variation in crank speed from no compression, but it could desensitize itself.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

im getting the misfire code. I hope these 2 things are not linked.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Here is a Pic of the gunk were talking about and I don't believe I have a hole in a piston or a cracked head or a blown head gasket. I could by into maybe a water pump leak or something along those lines. Were can I go to get a leak down test done on my motor? Looked for a tool at auto zone and didn't see anything that would resemble a presure testing devise. Thanks for the input guys.
Attached Thumbnails weird stuff inside Oil Cap-tb-gunk-sm1.jpg   weird stuff inside Oil Cap-foam-tb-sm.jpg  
Old 12-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Oh Ya forgot as for throwing codes the only I get now are the 2 rear O2 sensors no activity, Low egr voltage, Random multiple misfires, Generator L circut low input. I was getting a MAP error but I figured that out my MAP sensor had gotten unpluged somehow. I deleted the Air, Egr, and rear O2's so thats the reason for some of the codes. I'm assuming that the random misfires is due to the fact I have a Cam and Headers now and haven't gotten a tune done yet. Tune coming very soon though.
Below is a pic of how my TB looked the first time I took it off at around 55K miles and the 2 above are from recently at 70K miles give or take.
Attached Thumbnails weird stuff inside Oil Cap-original-tb-pic-sm.jpg  
Old 12-19-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i almost forgot to ask.

I had an electric waterpump put in about 6-8 months ago. could this be the reason im seeing this stuff in the cap? could there be a leak in the pump?

I remember reading something when they first came out about a leak maybe happining where the oring goes and people where putting 2 orings in there to fix it.
could this be it?

thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted a similiar issue and put up pictures a year ago. Same conclusion; not running the car long enough. Sorry, the pics are gone from my website. Basically identical to yours on the TB.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=1&pp=40
Old 12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Launching!

That was an interesting read. I have the same situation as you my oil looks good, there is a little bit of gas in there but that’s because I got headers and cam installed but haven't got it tuned yet. Maybe that’s why! Something to do with the gas fumes (from running so rich) and hot oil vapor from the motor accumulating and bubbling up like that??? I guess there is nothing life threatening wrong with it but I think a second catch can is required for the line on the passenger side valve cover to catch it before it goes into the TB and Intake. My PVC catch can catches a bunch I empty it once every 1-4 weeks and it's always got some. If I wait 4 weeks it's got about a half cup or more of this foamy liquid in it. Thanks for the input.

Edit: I just changed my motor oil about 10 miles ago and there wasn't any water in it that I could see, and I made sure to watch just as I pulled the drain plug sense water would be on the bottom.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

It CAN be an early sign of coolant leaking into the motor, but it doesn't ALWAYS mean it is. Condensation like they said can cause it. Mine just did it a while back after not driving the car for a month. Look at your dip stick after driving the car. If you see a malt-like substance there, you DO have troubles.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:49 PM
9 Second Club

My car had a little bit of that stuff in the oil cap when it was new. I bought it in the winter. Now since I have switched to Mobile 1 it hasn't done this anymore for the last 3 years.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fast98
so i would like to know, if u had a hole in your piston how was coolant or water getting to the crankcase, all i can see is fuel getting in there and high crankcase pressures. u had to have a blown headgasket or something else otherwise that guy found that problem by chance. were u throwing any codes? p0307? or p0300. i have to say the computer would notice that variation in crank speed from no compression, but it could desensitize itself.

Not really throwing any codes and it really wasnt a hole in the piston, more like a big chunk taken off of the side of it. I do believe that I also had a blown headgasket as well but everything was replaced when the 408 was built. I figured if we were going to have to rebuild anyway why not go bigger.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

If you want to see if there is water in the oil, let the car sit over night.
Then crack the drain plug on the oilpan. If there is any water in there it will be on the bottom. Oil floats on water

That milky snot in the cap is condensation. If you see that on your dipstick when you check the oil WORRY!

Brad
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

yep i had the same scare today. i was checking my fluids and there was white foaming stuff inside of my breather. Its been 35 degrees here which it has never seen before. so i check the oil and no coolant in there. so i think i was just the weather.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that happen on my car, the PCV hoses were plugged up. Changed the hoses and no more problem.